A short RP21 review...
Jul 20, 2007 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Mrvile

Headphoneus Supremus
Equation Audio RP21

I received these things today in the mail and have been listening to them for a while now. I ordered them from FullCompass Audio a few days ago. They didn't send me a shipment email or anything so I wasn't able to track it - hell I didn't know they had even shipped it, but it arrived on my doorstep today so whatever.

-----

First I'll start with the outside. The build is decent...a lot of plastic, but it's all pretty sturdy. Can't compare it to like, the DT-770, but I won't hesitate to bring these cans outdoors. The paintjob is really nice, maybe a bit overdone with the sparkly piano-finish orange, but it doesn't bother me. These things are barely big enough for me...I have them set to the largest setting and they just fit. The detachable cable is really nice because the connector from cabl- to-headphone is a standard 1/8" plug. I did notice that the headphones are actually quite microphonic for some reason...even like, the headband rumbles when I tap it, but it's relatively tame compared to IEM's so I don't really mind. What I do have a problem with, though, are the earpads. They are pleather (which isn't bad) but they are really small and kind of weak - it almost seems as if I'm wearing supraaural cans, which can be pretty uncomfortable and it affects the isolation. Does anyone know if there are alternatives for the earpads?

-----

Now onto the sound. I'll start with the bulk...the highs are very impressive, the mids are decent, and the bass is very good. The first thing that stood out to me were the highs - throughout my headphone career I've used headphones that weren't really known for their treble (K501, HD580, etc.). The thing about the treble with the RP21 is that it really sparkles and has no hiss or sibilance...I generally EQ 10khz and 16khz down pretty far to ease the treble pain but I don't find the need to with these headphones. Cymbals sound great - clear, balanced, and full. The mids aren't anything worth bragging about - they sound pretty average and don't have the body and weight of headphones like the HD580, but aren't really lacking anything, either. The bass is great - they extend very deep, are detailed, and have a little kick without being overpowering.

The headphones, designed as monitoring headphones, has a very detailed and clear general sound. The separation is pretty incredible - I can easily pick out each instrument, similar to IEM's. However, being closed, the soundstage is rather small and unimpressive. But again, I'm used to K501 and HD580 soundstage so I'm pretty biased. But for the last couple weeks I've been playing CS:S with the KSC75's, so hopefully these are at least a little bit better
smily_headphones1.gif
. The isolation is present but very weak - this is probably due to the stupid earpads. Someone help, these things are killing my ears.

Rock/Metal - I listened to some basic rock, alternative, and metal. It all sounds pretty good with these headphones, though I have to say I still prefer the HD580 sound for rock because of the added weight in the midbass to give the guitars some roar, especially with metal music. Other than that, the guitars sound great; the drums even better with the impact of the bass and the excellent cymbals.

Electronica - This genre sounds especially good with the detail and weight of the bass, which holds together most electronica music. However, with electronica, the clarity of the music can be a little overwhelming - sounds coming from everywhere. I'm not complaining, though
smily_headphones1.gif

Jazz - Sounds alright, but these headphones weren't really made for jazz. They lack the liquidity (word?) and warmth that make headphones like the HD580 perfect for jazz music. Ah well.

Classical - This is the highlight of these headphones, IMO. Classical music sound just awesome with these headphones...the biggest thing is the sound of the violins and other high instruments - the magic of the highs really helps. The detail gives the strings a lot of texture and the timbre is very organic. The clarity and imaging also do a lot so that larger orchestras don't sound like a mess. One downside, however, is the soundstage. The smaller soundstage may be unappealing to some people for classical music. Personally, I never thought a wide soundstage added to the sound so it's no big deal. But I'm just throwing it out there.

-----

All in all, for $100, these things are a steal. These headphones excel in so many areas and sound better than so many other phones in its class (HD280, A500, etc.). Now if I can find a solution to the damn earpads, I think I'm going to love these headphones while I'm at school.

Oh and no, I didn't forget, here are your pictures. I was too lazy to set up a proper background so I used a guitar instead
biggrin.gif
. Thanks for reading and enjoy!

rp211.jpg

rp212.jpg

rp213.jpg

Jul 20, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #3 of 19
Very nice read and beautiful pictures.
I wanna try these babies.
Is them to big to be used on the streets? What about for working out?
Have you listen to the DT770? If so, please compare them ...

Jul 20, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #4 of 19
The Beyer pleathers from Full Compass are pretty nice. The mids will shape up most w/ burn-in.

Jul 20, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by epaludo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice read and beautiful pictures.
I wanna try these babies.
Is them to big to be used on the streets? What about for working out?
Have you listen to the DT770? If so, please compare them ...

The beat the 770 in almost every way. The main thing about the 770's is the fun super bass. These have nice bass but it's not crazy like the 770's. Overall the RP-21's are more refined and detailed. They just sound really smooth.

Jul 20, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bebanovich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Beyer pleathers from Full Compass are pretty nice. The mids will shape up most w/ burn-in.

links or pics?

Jul 20, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #7 of 19
Just so we don't recreate the giant Equation Audio thread here, I'll redirect you there. Check post 273 for a link to the vinyl pads. The pads also come with some thinner foam that works great as a replacement for the stock foam. That mod starts getting tossed around on page 19 with a good pic on page 20.

Jul 20, 2007 at 9:23 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bebanovich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just so we don't recreate the giant Equation Audio thread here, I'll redirect you there. Check post 273 for a link to the vinyl pads. The pads also come with some thinner foam that works great as a replacement for the stock foam. That mod starts getting tossed around on page 19 with a good pic on page 20.

thanks..
and im using mine with a beyer leather earpad and that is supposed to be better than the pleather, right?
wink.gif

Jul 20, 2007 at 11:03 AM Post #9 of 19
Excellent impressions and lovely pictures Mrvile. I can see what you mean about that orange colour as well.

Jul 20, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can see what you mean about that orange colour as well.

It wasn't my thing either, but it grows on you. It's finished very well at least.

Jul 20, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #11 of 19
Personally, I consider the color to be copper and not orange. I love the look of a good copper color and I think the 21s have it.

Nice write up. I've said this in the beginning - the 21s present guitar music very nicely. Though it is not quite as synergistic as Grados they are very close IMO. Therefore, I'm not surprised at your findings with classical music.

Enjoy!

Jul 20, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #12 of 19
Well I found the Beyer replacements on FullCompass here. I will order a pair of these soon. These are the same pleather pads that come with the older DT770 M right?

Aug 21, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #14 of 19
Alright guys, update time.

So I got the Beyer pads a week or so ago and have been using them since. They are nice and comfy, fit perfectly, and isolate just a tad bit better than the stock pads (which still isn't much but I don't really care). The pads came with little foam inserts that are supposed to cover the drivers. Since the RP21 already has a foam piece over each driver (although it doesn't cover the entire baffle), they don't really need the extra foam, but I tried them anyway. Bad idea, the bass becomes hugely bloated, and it just sounds terrible. Without the foam inserts, they sound great, just like the regular RP21 except the bass may be just a touch stronger.

I picked a new background for you guys, the ol' Ibanez, but then I missed the focus and was too lazy to reshoot. So, enjoy:

rp214.jpg

Aug 21, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The pads came with little foam inserts that are supposed to cover the drivers. Since the RP21 already has a foam piece over each driver (although it doesn't cover the entire baffle), they don't really need the extra foam, but I tried them anyway. Bad idea, the bass becomes hugely bloated, and it just sounds terrible. Without the foam inserts, they sound great, just like the regular RP21 except the bass may be just a touch stronger.

The foam mod is meant to replace the existing foam which is stuck in there w/ double-sided tape. The Beyer foam is much thinner and cuts down on a muffled sound that some people describe. The mod is reversible if you want to mess around with it but if you are enjoying the sound as is, why mess with a good thing?

EDIT: Great pic, by the way, but damned if I've seen the color come across correctly on my computer screen. Could just be my screen settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back