A short review of HD820 vs Audeze LCD-XC's
May 9, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #16 of 48
So.... stupid question from a newer person in this hobby.
Is it really that the HD820 are ''disappointing'' or is it that the LCD XC are just that great for the price?
Great question thanks, I did mention that they were disappointing, only in respect to what they are supposed to be: A closed back $2400 version of the HD800, if they were called the "HD620" and were priced at 500$, I would consider them to be decent.

May 9, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #17 of 48
So.... stupid question from a newer person in this hobby.
Is it really that the HD820 are ''disappointing'' or is it that the LCD XC are just that great for the price?
It means that they are two different sounds. Perhaps.

May 10, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #18 of 48
Great question thanks, I did mention that they were disappointing, only in respect to what they are supposed to be: A closed back $2400 version of the HD800, if they were called the "HD620" and were priced at 500$, I would consider them to be decent.
That's not good news...I still love my HD800 and was entertaining the idea of getting a close version of it but so far, impressions are spotty at best.

Just out of curiosity, did Sein release the 820 early where you live?

May 10, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #21 of 48
Your not the first to be disappointed with the 820, many who have tried them were also disappointed.
My question to you would be regarding the Audeze, long term any worry about the wood, also are they really that heavy, never had the chance to try them .

they are heavy as hell... you can use the lohbstrap. if you buy it new you have the new headband by default :wink:

May 10, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #22 of 48
Just out of curiosity, did Sein release the 820 early where you live?
Hi, the Sennheiser store in San Francisco has had a production model for the past 2 weeks. just walk in and give them a listen! you just can't but them yet.
I think they might be the only ones in the cont USA ?
They also have the HE1 that blows everything out of the water, I did have to wait about 6 weeks to try the HE1's though.

Your not the first to be disappointed with the 820, many who have tried them were also disappointed.
My question to you would be regarding the Audeze, long term any worry about the wood, also are they really that heavy, never had the chance to try them .
I'm somewhat more muscular than the average so I never felt like they were heavy even after hours of use. the wood is super durable, mine doesn't have a scratch on it.
I swap "backs" to transform them into LCD'X in quiet areas. it opens the soundstage up, if you're interested I'm selling my pair / 3 cables / 3 ear cups & original box so I can buy the Abyss Diana,
Diana's sounded better to me than Focal clear, LCD-MX4, LCD-X, Mr. Speaker Aeon Flow open, and Ether C flow open. on side to side comparison.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #23 of 48
Hi, the Sennheiser store in San Francisco has had a production model for the past 2 weeks. just walk in and give them a listen! you just can't but them yet.
I think they might be the only ones in the cont USA ?
They also have the HE1 that blows everything out of the water, I did have to wait about 6 weeks to try the HE1's though.

I'm somewhat more muscular than the average so I never felt like they were heavy even after hours of use. the wood is super durable, mine doesn't have a scratch on it.
I swap "backs" to transform them into LCD'X in quiet areas. it opens the soundstage up, if you're interested I'm selling my pair / 3 cables / 3 ear cups & original box so I can buy the Abyss Diana,
Diana's sounded better to me than Focal clear, LCD-MX4, LCD-X, Mr. Speaker Aeon Flow open, and Ether C flow open. on side to side comparison.
Dang, thx for the info. I m in San jose, will make a trip asap.

May 10, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #24 of 48
Axel Grell has said that he prefers HD800S over HD820 and that the HD820 is mainly targeted to the Asian market. Where people live in small apartments and there open back - headphones would be annoying.

I guess that mainly the price of the HD820 is due the R&D that went into it and mainly because "they can", cause everybody else is doing the same thing. Prices will most likely come down as time goes on.

And i have read other people early impressions on HD820 and many has said the same thing as you. That it's "cavernous and echo-y". I have to hear it myself. But now, this is truly disappointing.

ps. anorphirith, thank you for your honest early impressions.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #25 of 48
I think they are priced just right for the market. That also means I’m not the market, though. :laughing:

I think they are gorgeous looking headphones, though...

May 10, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #26 of 48
This may be unpopular opinion but
I am kind of happy in a sinister way because of all the ’hype’ sennheiser gets for everything that they think they can put gorilla glass on aka stronger plastic type on the back of a I believe $1500 headphone and ask $2400 for it.
They are living too long off of the 650/600 hype, kind of like the hd700’s which were like $800-900 when they came out and they disappointed a lot of people.
Basically I want the hobby to improve with not only better products but at a bit more competitive prices
Or atleast for the summit fi people who want stuff that has crazy R&D which equals very high prices do NOT put that product out there and rely on the hype of your name until that product 100% buttoned up.
I believe the hd800 were also very underwhelming so they came out with the 800S that many LOVE or respect which fix whatever went wrong with the original. Sorry about your $1500 here buy the S version for another $1500

Now the hd 660’s are $500 are suppose to be pretty nice but it is basically a fix of the 700’s using that driver setup in the 600 series style

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #28 of 48
I rather like the HD 700, but then, I paid $500 for them brand new, and I'm sure they can be had for cheaper now, particularly used.

May 10, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #30 of 48
@FastAndClean
I also have the HE500, such a ridiculous pair of Headphones,
really love them, since I got the HD800, I was thinking very often about selling them,
but every time when I pick them and hear some Rock or Jazz, they surprise me again and again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back