A sad day for portable audio
Feb 18, 2008 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Mizou

New Head-Fier
So this Saturday I had my car broken into, and my 5.5g iPod stolen, as well as my phat PSP (phat being the term referring to the older, non-slim models).

I'm a Junior at the local university.. I have a Saturday human sexuality class whose professor also teaches at a nearby Catholic all-guys high school. To make things simple for him and us, we all agreed to go ahead and meet in his classroom in the school's gym.

All though class got out early (it's a 9AM-12noon class, we got out at 11), in those two hours, someone managed to go around, look into my car and see my iPod (I keep it between the seats, but they must have been tipped off by the cord running from between the seats to the dashboard), screwdrivered my passenger side lock, then took it, and my PSP from the glove compartment.

So.. I'm looking for a replacement DAP. I'm planning on getting an iPhone in the future, since I like the functionability of the iTouch, and I'm in need of a new phone. However, this won't be my primary DAP, because of the memory issue.

I'm tempted to get a Classic or another 5.5 Video.. I just got a Cryo dock from ALO about two weeks ago, and would hate to see that go to waste.. I also really liked the sound I was getting out of my portable rig with it. But if anybody has any other suggestions, I'd be open to them. I'm looking for more of a straight-ahead media player, since my other needs will be taken care of with the phone later. Just something that can play Lossless (ALAC, FLAC, etc.), has enough memory (I was taking up 8 gigs at the time of losing my iPod), and most importantly; sounds good.

Feb 18, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #2 of 16
Just to comment on that getting stolen that really sucks. I don't think I'd have the heart to still thing from people like that, I'd just feel really darn bad ... why don't people think about how they would feel if something they bought or got for a present stolen... it's ridiculous. Anyways, the classics great if you choose to go for that. Plenty of space on it as well.

Feb 18, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #4 of 16
Damn, sorry about your loss!! Hmm, media-player..cowon D2 maybe? If audio-quality is of more importance, then iAudio7. Or could go for the iPod and rockbox it to play FLAC.

And a case that hides the next player, whatever it may be. Good Luck.

Feb 18, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 16
What are those thief! Sorry for the lost of your gadget and sorry again for your wallet.

Dont worry you will enjoy your upcoming DAP, next time bring it inside your bag.

Feb 18, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #7 of 16
If your system was based around iTunes and you are going to get an iPhone, why consider messing with anything other than an iPod?

Sorry about your loss. I keep hoping that this karma thing is real and that sort of loser will get what s/he deserves

Mooch.

Mooch

Feb 18, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #10 of 16
Bummer...I agree with Mooch...just stick with an ipod that way you won't have to reformat your library.

Feb 19, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 16
Very sad indeed. You have my sympathy.

Reminds me of the time back in 1999 when my truck was broken into. Damn smoker window! They got a very decent clarion deck, custom 6x9s, competition mono amp/sub, and my CDs. I think what hurt the most was my CD binder, lots of custom mixes from over the years. Hard to replace that stuff!

Hope you find a good replacement DAP! Good luck.

~Z

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #12 of 16
Sorry about your stuff.
I used to live in Guam. And I remember that we would never leave anything valuable in the car - not even for two hours, and especially anything that could be seen from the outside. There was just so much theft... especially that last summer I was there in 2002 during/after the hurricanes.

Feb 19, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #13 of 16
FYI - 95% of people do not register their electronic devices and/or do not keep records of their Brand, Model & most important Serial Number.

I used to work at a Pawnshop, THE thing that would recommend to ANYONE is to keep a record of your devices and their Serial Numbers.

Feb 19, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #14 of 16
I feel your pain. I was sleeping on a train in nyc. 8 kids came into the train and on their stop one kid ran grabbed my zune and jet up the stairs. I couldn't really do anything. I'm about to order me an imod and already on pre order list for pico so good luck to ya.

Feb 19, 2008 at 11:06 AM Post #15 of 16
All right guys. I was looking for suggestions for a few DAPS that might interest me.. but most replies here have been to continue with the iPods. I was already leaning towards trying to get another 5.5g, or a Classic, and it seems that'll be the path I'm taking.

Thanks for the condolences.. Funny thing is that these types of things rarely happen to me. I'm not tempting fate or anything, but I've always felt comfortable leaving things like that, hidden, in my car. I've even done a few dumb things like accidentally not lock my car, and haven't had anything like this happen. Guess that's a lesson to keep on my toes, no matter how safe the environment seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back