A.S.L. MG Head OTL (Mk2 vs. Mk3)
Apr 13, 2007 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

onvn

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all..

I recently bought a K701 after much thought of an upgrade and it sounds awesome with my Aria after just a day of burn-in and I am eager to listen to it after its finished its burn-in period to her it to its full glory!
basshead.gif

I am now looking into tube amps to alleviate what I think is a problem - IMO the K701 is a little bright. Would the warmth from tube amps help to settle the fatiguing brightness? I am attracted to Antique Sound Labs' MG Head OTL but I am curious, is there a difference sonically between Mk2 and Mk3 versions? The aesthetically superior Mk3 (chrome tube cage, new power supply housing) tended me towards it and is enough of a reason to prefer the Mk3, then again, Mk2 being the predecessor, the Mk3 SHOULD be better, if not equal, sonically.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Apr 13, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 2
Mk3 has the power supply outside of the unit and there is a toggle switch between the DT and OTL options (transformer or transformerless). Also, according to them, the SET design is also improved. Not sure if it has enough juice to drive the K701, you need a 2nd opinion on that since I don't own the K701. It drives my Grados pretty good and I've heard it's got GREAT synergy with Senn 580/600/650 (a big reason why I ordered my HD580, still waiting on that though, getting a little impatient). If you can find one used at $250~$300 or so, you can't go wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back