A Rhetorical Thread: Rank the best headphone companies
Oct 22, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #46 of 56
Nobody did even mention Focal until now. Neither do I. Don`t like their sound and chichi-appearance.

My favorites
Stax for their sound and culture
Grado for their image and workstation
Sennheiser for the HD600
AKG , because I am from Vienna too
Mysphere, for its innovation, quality and for Mr. Renner, who is a real Sir
Dan Clark for his ears
ZMF for the beauty of their headphones

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #47 of 56
To determine the best headphone “company”, assessments must be made of the company’s products, product support, marketing strategy, relationships with suppliers and customers, research & development, and of management…just for starters…
…To me, there are two pantheons: ZMF and Kennerton.

Nov 4, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #48 of 56
Whoa.

1. HFM - made or make 8 of my favorite 25 cans.
2. Stax
3. Senn
4. Small outfits: Raal, Hedd, Dan Clark

No love for Beyer, Grado, AT, Audeze (crept the LCD-4), Fostex, AKG, and all "bass" cans.

Nov 8, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #49 of 56
Nobody did even mention Focal until now. Neither do I. Don`t like their sound and chichi-appearance.

My favorites
Stax for their sound and culture
Grado for their image and workstation
Sennheiser for the HD600
AKG , because I am from Vienna too
Mysphere, for its innovation, quality and for Mr. Renner, who is a real Sir
Dan Clark for his ears
ZMF for the beauty of their headphones
which focals have you heard?
the open back focals are some of the best in the price range for people that want slam
they do have questionable qc though

Nov 9, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #50 of 56
which focals have you heard?
the open back focals are some of the best in the price range for people that want slam
they do have questionable qc though
i had the Utopia as a loan for 14days and didnˋt touch it after 2 days anymore, because of itˋs little stage. In comparison to the 009 the utopia sonded like music out of a dollhouse. for me, there was nothing he did better than a 009.
Later on I have owned a Clear for 2 weeks. Somehow it sounded boring for me. I missed the dynamic even I do have a very strong amp.the tonality was ok. Stage was again below average. Sold it quick before the light-grey turned into just dirty look.

Nov 9, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #51 of 56
While this was a brutal 11 year necro, the thread is quite interesting.
None of the current companies at the top were even close to their Reputation a decade ago, if they even existed.

For me it has to be:
1. Meze
House sound, musicality, build quality, comfort and customer service are all setting Benchmarks.
2. Audeze
House sound, amazing flagships but also amazing price performance offerings like the LCD-2C.
3. T+A
Extremely new and only 2 headphones available, in their respective (EU) price bracket they are unbeatable though. Customer service is also extremely good. Dethroning tue Susvara (imo) with their First headphone is extremely impressive.

Noteworthy mention:
Hifiman
Undeniably one of the best headphones with the Susvara and ever improving offerings in the entry and mid fi sections, like Sundara, Deva, Edition XS.
Build quality doesn't even come close to my top 3 though.

Nov 9, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #52 of 56
I remember when Meze where just taking baby steps in the industry. Antonio Meze founded the company in 2011 under the name “Meze Headphones” . I remember their original product line and I remember the Meze 88 Classics (Steve Guttenberg liked the 88 Classics and gave them a great review). A part of me wishes I had never parted with the 88 Classics I had, it was very good for the money (£265 - just under 370 U.S dollars). Very smooth warm mids, clear highs (free of sibilance, no annoying peaks, totally clear, smooth and detailed) deep, accurate bass (I remember doing a test on an app and the 88 Classics rivalled the Denon AH-D5000’s I also had at that time, both headphones registering a 16 Hertz bass response!). Add to that that it had impressive soundstage and imaging. What’s not to like?! It was a fine headphone and very classy looking to. I think I prefer the old Meze to the company they have became now (sorry Meze fans).

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #53 of 56
Probably because most of the comments are from 2010, and at that time Focal wasn't making any headphones?

Anyway, I guess I'll be the first to mention them in my list.

1 - Focal: They're built in France. They are beautiful to look at and they feel incredible. They have made a lot of well-respected headphones, some even consider their TOTLs to be the best dynamic headphones in the world currently. Their service in the EU at least is excellent, offering 5 year warranties and such. Obviously they have flaws, like a lot of companies, but the fact that they only made their first Hi-Fi headphones in 2016/2017 and yet managed to make a name for themselves says a lot. (Obviously their past helped, but that wasn't a guaranteed win.) I'm also a huge fan of their house sound, and that's why I only bought them up to now.

2 - ZMF: I haven't had the luck of listening to one of their headphones yet, but I truly respect them a lot. Their headphones look incredible, they offer a metric-ton of choices, there's also a lot of craftsmanship involved, they're really active in the community and that's the kind of company I would like to support. I'm a huge fan of the R-10's design, even if a bit bulky, and ZMF is basically the modern equivalent in design. As for sound quality, I've heard a lot of extremely positive things, and some consider the VC to be the best closed-back dynamic headphone in the world, even better than the Stellia. (I personally think it comes down to taste, as always with anything over 1k.)

3 - Sony: I really appreciate Sony as a brand, they've been making headphones for quite a while, all of them with some really interesting and quirky designs, and while I know they're not to everyone's tastes, those who do love them truly do. They liked to try. I'd love to listen to the Z1R and their previous hi-fi headphones.

4 - Stax: They do have quite the aura as a headphones company. I was able to see a few of them IRL and I really enjoyed their design. If you don't know what they are, they look really goofy for sure though. Their TOTLs are also contenders for the best headphones in the world, I don't have to add anything more. I'd love to get my hands on one.

5 - Meze: They've been gaining traction for the past few years, and I always respect newcomers making a name for themselves. I personally don't think I'd enjoy their warmer sound, but again you don't know until you've tried. Their build quality is apparently out of this world too, and their flagship is supposedly incredibly comfortable.

6 - Sennheiser: I had to add them, obviously. One of the most well-known headphones company, their HD6** is legendary, and I also consider the HD800(s) to be a legend too. Like Stax, I'd love to get my hands on the HD800(s).

7 - Hifiman: Their lineup is well-loved, and they apparently sound incredible. They're also the makers of the Susvara, one of the best headphones in the world. They also have a lot of options at different price points, which is a huge plus.

There's a lot of different brand out here, but those are the most interesting ones for me. This list is completely subjective (I've only heard Focals and never wanted to look back after all) and not only based on sound quality (That's the priority, but comfort and look/feel is also really important to me and I'd gladly take the second best option in sound if it's comfy and well-built).

Bias aside + taking flaws into account, I'd say Sennheiser takes the top spot (Safe choice, but most of their lineup is forgettable or huge flops, like the HD700 and the HD820, and while they're unbreakable, they're still made of plastic), then Stax (Let's be honest, the materials kind of suck + really expensive), ZMF (Hard to get one, really expensive, and you need to love their sound signature), Focal (Questionnable design choices like the Elear/Elex voice coil, the infamous clipping, the discoloration and the creaky headband. crappy service in the US + really expensive), Hifiman (Has quite the reputation for QC, the build quality isn't the best, even the materials chosen are meh. They also have a tendency to stealth upgrade), Meze (Sound signature is apparently meh for the price), Sony (Same as Meze, they also don't seem to care much nowadays).

Nov 9, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #54 of 56
1) I really like Grado. I like their story, I love my GH2's and their service is Great! And I would love to own the GS3000e's.

2) I only own one pair of Focals, but I lust for the Clear Pro's and one of the closed sets.

3) It took me four tries to find a HiFiman that I Love, but I will buy more.

4) Meze hit a home run with the 99 Classic's and I would Love to own the Empyreans.

I will NEVER buy another set of Sennheiser, Audeze or Beyerdynamic headphones.

Nov 9, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #55 of 56
According to personal preference:

(1) Audio Technica: I love their house sound (especially the AWAS) and their wooden headphone designs. I wished they would include shorter cables and deeper earpads though.
(2) Focal: Only the Utopia sounded good to me, although it still had a bit too much bass to me.
(3) Final: Their D8000 pro was great-sounding (and good-looking), but was quite uncomfortable.
(4) Sony: I have only tried the Z1R which sounded alright to me, but had a bit too much treble spikes. Their M9 (IEM) was much better.
(5) Sennheiser: Only the HD560s sounded alright to me - didn't like the rest of their line-up.
(6) Hifiman: Only tried the Sundara, Ananda and Arya, and wasn't too fond of the sound. Would like to try the Susvara and HE1000v2 someday, although I don't think I will like them either.
(7) Audeze: Very good bass (esp sub-bass) quality, but I'm not into dark sound signatures. If I were, this would probably be the first brand I'd go for.

Jan 15, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #56 of 56
I expect this thread will include a lot of rhetoric and hearsay, so I labeled it that way. In this thread post your list of the 10 top headphone brands in order. There are many ways to do this:
ONE, you can do just by judging what you've read on head-fi, which brands seem to have the most flagships, which brands seem to get the most love, etc.

TWO, you can do it based just on headphones which you've had the pleasure of hearing and just use your own personal preference.

THREE you can rank just based on general house sound

FOUR, you can rank based on consistency, brands which are good all throughout their product line (not just flagships)

When posting you list/s, please label the lists according to which of these methods you used. Also post your personal music preference. As the OP, I want to void this thread of any accusations of people claiming that it is unfair for a person to judge a headphone brand even if they haven't heard their flagship. For instance, I have never even heard a Stax headphone, but I know they're prestige and value ranks very highly, so I will include them in my list should I use method one to rank

SO HEAD-FI......WHAT ARE THE TEN GREATEST HEADPHONE BRANDS IN ORDER? :)
I would say, without a doubt, the top three companies are:

1. STAX (Lambda, Omega series- some of the world's best headphones)
2. Sennheiser (HD600, HD800, Orpheus & HE-1)
3. AKG (some of the most natural-sounding and musical headphones)

The order after that, I'm not so sure of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back