A Review of My Portable Rig (Grado SR80i vs SR225i)
Aug 3, 2009 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Darksyde

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi!

As we all know, Head-Fi is a great resource of information, thanks to the thousands of people who give up their time to write up reviews of things for the benefit of others. I'm doing this because I have to (thanks HK_Sends). Ok, I'm just joking. I always wanted to write a review anyways, and HK_Sends gave me a great deal on a CMoy amp and some other stuff, under the condition that I write a review on my portable rig. I would just like to say that he is a very friendly, honest, generous, and reliable person. I would not hesitate to buy anything from him, and neither should you! It's because of him that I am enjoying the fantastic sound that's coming from my Grados! Thanks, HK!

Alright, onto the review. What I'm comparing are my Grado SR80i's and SR225i's amped an unamped. I have also assigned percentage improvements in the 225i's, plus I'll give a written description of each aspect of the sound and how it's improved in the latter Grado. Note: My setup can be found in my sig, and all songs used to compare the headphones are flac files.

Grado SR225i Unamped Improvement Over SR80i (%):

Highs: 25%
Mids: 30%
Bass: Impact: 25% Tightness:15% Extension: 20%
Weightiness: 20%
Fullness: 20%
Detail: 12%
Clarity: 20%
Separation: 25%
Soundstage: 20%

Explanation:

Highs: I found the highs on the 225's to be much more refined, better extended, more natural, and so much less fatiguing than on the 80's that I wouldn't even call them fatiguing anymore. They are just perfectly defined, and instead of being overwhelming, they are less prominent, giving the 225's a significantly more neutral sound than the 80's. I used Time by Pink Floyd to test this aspect of the sound specifically. On the 80's, I found the clocks ringing at the beginning to be far too shrill, and I had to lower the volume on my Cowon in order to make that part of the song more bearable to listen to.

Mids: I used The Fantasy by 30 Seconds to Mars to test the mids on both of the 'phones. I paid specific attention to the guitar being played at the beginning of the song. While it sounds good on both headphones, it sounds so vibrant and realistic on the 225's that sometimes it makes me forget about reality. You can hear everything: the fingers strumming the notes, to the rich sound of the strings vibrating. It's truly something to behold!

As for vocals, I used All to Myself- Marianas Trench. This song is very well recorded, and the vocals are so rich and well presented that you can't help but think that the artist is right there, a few feet away from you, performing just for you! Every nuance can being heard, including Tyson's voice getting a bit pitchy in the beginning of the chorus.

Bass: The bass is similar to how it is on the 80i's, but there's a good deal more of everything. It is very tight, deep, and the impact is very satisfying. It's very realistic and in very natural quantities, so that it's not over-powering. It may not live up to a basshead's standards, but that's why there are Dennon headphones out there (come to think of it, Bose too)! Oh, to hear the best-sounding song on any Grado, listen to Animals by Nickelback, and for the first 25 seconds, you'll see Grado for all that it is. Trust me.

Weightiness: This is the impact of all the other non-bass frequencies. The 225's are a good deal better than the 80's in this category.

Fullness: Fullness is the depth to the sound, and is similar to weightiness. I hope that you understand what I mean. Perhaps what I'm trying to describe is richness?

Detail: The 80's are very detailed, and the 225's are a touch more so. I once again used Time because of the clock alarms at the beginning of the song. I think that if you close your eyes and listen to it at a decent volume (something I can only do with the 225's because of the shrillness and lack of refinement on the 80's) you can hear everything! I mean every little detail. But, you know what they say: hearing is believing!

Separation: There is a lot more air cushioning each note on the 225's, and more definition. There is also a greater sense of depth to each note. Separation can also be considered part of the soundstage.

Soundstage: It's not really until the RS-1's that you get a real soundstage, but the 225's come pretty close. Instead of the music being 2D, I can now differentiate the distance of different instruments to some extent. Also, the sound extends to almost full circle around my head (or so it sounds xP), which really helps get rid of the "clutter" you can sometimes hear on the 80's.

Grado SR225i's and SR80i's Amped (using a decaff CMoy, courtesy of HK_Sends xD)

Because the amp doesn't make the headphones sound different (just better), I won't go into detail like I did before. Just know that even a cheap amp like a CMoy really does a lot for the 225i's. It helps make the difference between the 80's and 225's much more apparent. Note that this is with both headphones amped, so while most things don't change more than 5%, this is how much better the 225's sound amped when compared to the 80's amped. If it were the 225's amped vs the 80's unamped, there would be an even greater difference.

Highs: 30%
Mids: 40%
Bass: Impact: 33% Tightness:18% Extension: 22%
Weightiness: 25%
Fullness: 25%
Detail: 15%
Clarity: 20%
Separation: 30%
Soundstage: 25%

Overall, I have to say that the 225's are well worth the upgrade. I hope I don't come across as ragging on the 80's. They are fantastic headphones, and are terrific value! These are both Grados, so most things are very similar. I think that the 225's just give you more of everything, like most other headphones higher up their brand-tree do. Keep in mind that the numbers that you see are my opinion, and you should take them with a pinch of salt. However, they represent the difference I heard. Then again, chances are that me being 13 years old and not having fully-developed ears will change what I hear from what you might. Your mileage may vary.

I hope this helps someone!

Mark

Aug 3, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #2 of 46
Excellent comparison! I think you help provide more than enough information for people that may be trying to choose between the SR80's and SR225i's.

Ironically enough, I went on the same upgrade path (except with the original SR80/SR225s).

Oh yea, keep talking about that HK_sends guy, people might start thinking he's helpful or something...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

...oh, wait, was that me!?!
redface.gif

Aug 4, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 46
edit: oh yea i have the traditional 225s, not the i-model

Very good and realistic review. I agree with most of your points. To further promote the 225s, I will save the forum space of another thread:

I sat in a local store with virtually every grado SR model + RSs +GS1000. I was there for over an hour with my own music library plugged in through their amplifier. The 60 and 80 are but an introduction to the grado sound, but in my opinion they have too many weak points to warrant a purchase, even though they are constantly talked up on these forums. I guess the price is too good.
The 225 cleans up all the things I disliked about the 80s and 125s. The high frequencies are articulate enough that listening to a jazzy drum kit, all the nuances of a skilled drummer's hi-hat comes through.
As a regular hip-hop listener, I am satisfied with the bass and 'physical' response of a heavy bass-line. You feel the air enough to experience it, but easily make out the tonality which is just pure enjoyment when listening to a double-bass.
Lastly vocals are great on high quality recordings. I can follow a vibrato and imagine the sinusoid modulating a singer breath (ok im a bit of a math geek).

And good that you pointed out the soundstage. It is nothing fancy, if that's something you're looking for in a headphone. It feels pretty close. Not a deal-breaker for me though. $ was a huge issue for me when purchasing headphones and I hit the money on used 225s for ~$200 CDN ($300 in store).

Aug 4, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #6 of 46
I agree, the 225's really got rid of all the things I didn't like in the 80's. Everytime I listen to them, I try to hear any flaws in the headphones. With the 80's, I actually felt that my Koss KSC-75's were a bit more clear. This is apparent when listening to The Kill- 30 Seconds to Mars. The 225's remedy this completely.

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #7 of 46
I just got my first Grado(SR80i). I did listen to SR225i too, but I didn't want to pay the extra as I am now saving up for a RS1i.

This forum has completely converted me to headphones just when I was starting out on speakers. And my SR80i sound much better than my speakers. I am addicted to the Grado sound.

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #9 of 46
When you say portable, does this mean you listened to this just walking around outside? Was just wondering how you liked using an open air headphone with traffic, people and other outside noises around you.

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #11 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice review! you make me want to buy some grado sr225i

Today, I got to listen to the complete SR line up, minus the SR60 and the igrado. Out of all the line up, personally I found the SR225 to be the most balanced and "full" sounding. Here is my short impression of the line up, I was just using my Sansa Fuze as my source, no amp. I was listening to a wide variety of songs from Piano Jazz, NuJazz, Rock, Hip Hop, and a lot more. Btw, I'm not an audiophile, I am still learning. I found the low ends of the Grados kinda punchy not boomy.

SR80 - normal pads: It was a good base for the SR line up, it had highs, mids and lows, it did quite well. But I found the bottom end lacking as well the highs/mids, definition and clarity a bit lacking when compared to my RE0. While it does provide more bass than the RE0, the quality wasn't as good, a tad bloated. It's good with Jazz, nujazz, rock but not so well with rap/ hiphop. I wouldn't recommend the SR80 to bass heavy genre.

SR125 - bowls: There is a subtle difference between the SR125 and the SR80. The SR125 has better clarity, and over all mids, and highs. The lows were more clear but lack quantity, it might be due to the bowls but they are comfy
biggrin.gif
. I personally don't know if I would pick the 125 over the 80 considering the price difference. As well with the SR80, it doesn't sound well with bass heavy genre.

SR225 - Senn yellow pads: I truly love this pair. It does everything well, personally I found the 225 well rounded for the type of music I listen too. Everything is done well, highs are clear and good, mids are just about right, and lows have good quantity and quality. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything else other than the SR225 to start my collection. I truly love listening to rock and jazz on these phones. Then again, it is probably the best grado out of the Prestige Series that is decent for rap/hip hop. But, I wouldn't recommend it for that particular genre. Very warm sounding phones.

SR325 - bowls: A very good pair, like the SR225 it does everything well but, and it is a huge but to me, the forwardness of the highs and mids are too forward IMO, the lows are about the same. I can only say the SR325 are very good for rock and certain jazz genre. For nujazz, the forwardness makes the songs too analytical and sharp, that makes the SR325 too tiresome to listen too. But the metal housing looks sharp.
atsmile.gif

Overall, it's a personal choice. For myself I like the SR225.

beerchug.gif
o2smile.gif

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #12 of 46
Nice impressions mythless,
The only problem is, the readers will not know if the preferences for the 225 were because of what the yellow pads do to the sound or whether it was because of the cans themselves. By the way, were the yellow pads modded or stock with no hole in the middle? Were these the new "i" versions? Did you try swapping pads around with different models? Those are some of the possible questions that can be made after reading that review.

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

Nice impressions mythless,
The only problem is, the readers will not know if the preferences for the 225 were because of what the yellow pads do to the sound or whether it was because of the cans themselves. By the way, were the yellow pads modded or stock with no hole in the middle? Were these the new "i" versions? Did you try swapping pads around with different models? Those are some of the possible questions that can be made after reading that review.

True, I only had a short hour listening to the headphones and didn't really wanted to bother asking them to change out the pads. The senn pads were stock. The stock senn pads and the stock grado pads most likely gave more low end quantity, but I couldn't really tell the difference between the bass of the 325 and the 225, didn't have too much time to compare. Originally I was there to see the SR80-SR225 but then near the end I went with the flow to checked out the SR325. Considering I use my RE0 which doesn't have bass quantity all of them were step above lol. For quality, though, the SR225 and the SR325 were the best. Ive read on how to tell the "i" and non "i" apart but I was too much in listening to the music to see, I actually forgotten to check too busy trying to find a new set of headphones
k701smile.gif
. Maybe next time I'll go and try to get those question answered.

Currently, I really want to hear the Alessandro line and compare them to the grados. Sadly, no dealers here.

Oct 13, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

That would be awesome if you could try the 225s using the bowls to compare with 125 and 325 if it is still the best among them
biggrin.gif

lol I will for sure, next time I go. Has anyone do a comparison between the SR225 and the MS1? Edit: As well, is there a difference between the "i" and the older non-"i" version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back