A request to all owners of an Headphonia amplifier
Apr 1, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #16 of 303
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel awful about this... <not included to save space>

One thing I wonder, why did you never include Porta Corda in your review -_-. Nothing personal just seems to exclude one product that I personally love.

Also, Devil's Advocate lurking - anyone notice that today is April Fools? -_-

Apr 1, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #17 of 303
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing I wonder, why did you never include Porta Corda in your review -_-. Nothing personal just seems to exclude one product that I personally love.

Deleted/Edit: I better just keep my mouth shut, right now.

Apr 1, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #18 of 303
The accused has not been proven guilty of anything.

I will not take sides in this debate until concrete evidence is provided.

"Innocent until proven guilty"

Apr 1, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #19 of 303
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

First of all, I can say with great certainty this is NOT an April Fool's joke.

Secondly, w/r/t the Porta Corda, I did not include it in the review for 2 reasons. One, and mainly, I didn't have one. And since I bought almost all of the amps I reviewed, with a couple exceptions where I was sent a loaner, I simply couldn't buy them all. Two, since I own 3 Meier home amps, and I am clearly partial to them, I was worried that if I ranked the PCIII very high, that people would discount my opinion on the amp. So I didn't go out of my way to include what I happen to know (since I did own one once) is a very good sounding portable amp.

Apr 1, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #20 of 303
Dear headfellows,

Thanks for all the moral support! :)

"anyone notice that today is April Fools? "

Unfortunately this is definitely no joke! It's all very true.

Today I was noted by somebody that Headphonia claimed that the new amp is very similar to their Pengamp II (the one with a blue PCB).

Can somebody make me some pictures of the inside of this amp?

Cheers

Jan

Apr 1, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #21 of 303
that's horrible, Jan, you can be sure i won't be doing any business with headphonia any time soon. just goes to show that western companies are just as capable of being underhanded as nameless chinese knockoff dealers. i hope you get paid for your losses in full.

Apr 1, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #22 of 303
I'm very sorry to hear this, Jan. You've gotten burned this way too many times, at least two I can think of off the top of my head. I hope you get rightful restitution for your intellectual property!

Apr 1, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #23 of 303
Well, look on the bright side: as somebody said, "Imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery."
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #24 of 303
Ya, I just had to point the April's fools thing out, but it would be too severe of a bad joke for it to be such. I personally own a PCII, and definitely like its design, but its kinda useless with all of my phones -_- (low impedance everything). If you want to send it through your tests SkyLab, I'll loan you mine, I think Porta Corda does not get enough attention, and of all the designs I think it is one of the most portability friendly amp. (belt clip = +++).

But not to go away from the subject. I gotta note,
Headphonia is smaller than Porta Corda which is probably the partly source of popularity.
Also, how much better is PCIII as opposed to PCII ? (it sure has alot more caps >.<)

Apr 1, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #25 of 303
On a humorous sidenote, just a few days ago the new Museum Plagiarius in Solingen has been opened to the public, showing quite a few examples of product knock-offs. More info in German over there: http://www.plagiarius.com/museum_plag.html

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Apr 2, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #27 of 303
Sorry to hear you have to spend your time and money to protect what should be rightfully yours , just from an ethical point of view Dr. Meier. They even included parts not needed because the DC offset is not present with the chosen opamp , that would be the smoking gun in my eyes.

Apr 2, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #28 of 303
Jan:

I never had one of your amps in my hands. The crossfeed circuit I used in my amplifiers can be found on the web by anyone. Basically it is the Ohman crossfeed published in 1994 and modified by you in several publications. Your German patent from 1999 is not confirmed till now (after 7 years!!) and I don't see it will be confirmed anytime (since there is nothing new in that regards). Your posting here on headfi.org is only made to damage my reputation. Anyone who wants to check his crossfeed patent: link. Here is the Ohman crossfeed.

Maybe you haven't followed up earlier threads here on headfi, the amp was designed for the LM6171 but later we went to the AD8397 opamp (with the same circuit board). Thus the amp became very fast obsolete. The new amp is specially designed for the AD8397 opamp.

Everyone who purchased the earlier amp and don't believe me I offer you to send back your amp and you get a full refund (Paypal fees are not refundable). I won't insist on the usual 30 day money back limit. That way you may order the supposed original amp by Jan Meier.

Robert Gehrke

Apr 2, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #29 of 303
The plot thickens. It is going to take better minds than mine since it looks like the other shoe has JUST fallen. I hope everything works out for both parties because this hobby while it has grown leaps and bounds is still a niche one. The more people that make quality items at a decent price the better off we all are. I am holding up judgement till all the facts are totally in. It appears that there is more here that is going to come out in time. I DO want to believe its a misunderstanding between two competitors, here's hoping...

Apr 2, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #30 of 303
Whether it was a misunderstanding or not, it would have been nice if both parties did not have to resort to having to deal with this in an open forum because things can get ugly and conclusions are formed very quickly (justified or not)...

I understand the OP made an effort to contact headphonia and gave them/him a chance to explain so I do not fault him in having to resort to posting in this forum. It is just unfortunate that Jan had to do that before getting a reply from Robert.

I don't have much invested between the two companies and as a newbie, do not have a lot of opinions about both of them. Reading previous posts, people seemed to be happy with both company's products and service. I was looking to purchase a headphonia amp so I came upon this thread. Here's hoping this gets worked out between both parties for everybody's sake..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back