A reintroduction to the Grado Sound
Apr 17, 2006 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

boss

Head-Fier
Is it worth it?

I used to own a pair of SR60s. Loved them, but they seemed to be lacking something my Senn HD497 had... I can't easily put my finger on what, but I do recall the Senns sounding a lot smoother and less fatiguing in the high end. I eventually sold my SR60s. This was over a year ago.

This February, I decided to give IEMs a try, without really knowing what I was getting into. Bought the UE Super.fi 5pro. I found them fatiguing due to the lack of instrument separation and extremely forward presentation. I intend to sell them. This was when I realized my ears may not be made for this type of sound signature. I made a resolution to stay away from IEMs for the time being (though the e500 looks tempting
tongue.gif
)

Anyway, after all this, you might be wondering why I'd want to give Grado another chance. Well, for one, I'm considering purchasing an amp (Headroom Total Bithead, RSA SR-71 or the limited Headfive - any opinions on these or other amps would be appreciated). For two, my musical preferences are different than they were a year ago. I now listen to mainly rock and pop as well as variant genres with electronic instruments, such as electropop or experimental rock. For three... while I've noted that a lot more people own HD650s and K701s than RS-1s, many HD650 or K701 owners also own a mid-fi Grado.

I guess what I'm asking is, "would I be happy with a Grado or Alessando at this point?" Thanks in advance for all replies.

Apr 17, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #2 of 8
Hi,

I'm a bit biased, having gone from 595 to RS1/HF1/225 (I also have an E5 & ER4S). I started my Grado odyssey with the SR 60. What does it lack? I suppose, a bit of impact. The higher end Grados have excellent separation, detail, etc..

Based on what you've written I think the 225/RS2 would be worthwhile for you (or even a second-hand HF1 if you can find it for a reasonable price). Most readers argue you have to go RS1 for best soundstage. I don't know if I fully agree. Depending on your intended application, however, it might be worthwhile hunting down a used RS1 at a good price.

Andy

Apr 17, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 8
I'm not sure you'd be happy if you went back into the lower end stuff as although I like my MS-1 quite a bit, the sound is still somewhat grainy and disjointed compared to other phones I have. The whole soundscape doesn't gel together like it should. I don't know if this is still an issue with the higher end Grados but having heard a few of the lower end ones now I find the same problem (to my ears at least). They are good for the money but there is something not right in there.

Apr 17, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 8
For an alternative opinion, I went through a similar progression as you.

The SR-80s were one of my first pairs of "nice" headphones. I thought they sounded great.

Then I tried the Senn 600s and found that I very much preferred less brightness in a pair of phones, and while I haven't tried the UBAR Grados (RS-1, et al), everything below them retains varying levels of that Grado signature (quite bright).

So unless you're going to drop RS-1 type money, I'm gambling you'd feel similarly based on the admittedly brief history you posted.

Apr 17, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #6 of 8
Would you be happy with Grado of Alessandro at this point? Tough call.

I appears that the Grado "house sound" is not what you are looking for.

Perhaps the slightly smoother more analytical Alessandros would do it. I find that my MS-1s are leading me right to the MS-2(I bought the MS-1s to find out if the Alessandro sound was the sound for me-it IS!)

The plan is to use the MS-1s for portable use and the future MS-2 or MS-Pro or Grado RS-2(yes: RS-TWO)for fixed home use.

.......although I will probably stop at MS-2 since I don't want my cans to outshine my home speaker system by too much!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oops, edit: Talkin' about strictly critical stereo listening here! Ain't no set of cans can outshine my home speaker system for rousin' rauchous home theater!!(At least not currently available!)

Apr 17, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 8
Senns are smoother and less fatiguing than Grados. The RS-1 has the biggest soundstage of all the Grados. I haven't compared that to the MS-1, MS-2 or pro but I imagine they wouldn't be all that different. They can all be fatiguing to some degree, all headphones are. But you owe it to yourself to try them again. I don't care at all for the SR60s or SR80s but I like the SR225s, but I can't stand to wear them for more than an hour. But I can wear the RS-1s for hours and they don't bother me, but I can see how some would say they are fatiguing.
I advise you to try the MS-1 or SR225 and see how you like them. I think you'll find they're way ahead of the SR60s.

Apr 17, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #8 of 8
Sen hd580/hd600 arn't as bright as rs-1's but they have harsher highs. The rs-1's are the smoothest of the current production grados.

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back