A Recent tweet from PS Audio about "The problem of headphones"
Jul 1, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #2 of 10
Obviously it's just one guys opinions and I can see where his coming from as he seems to be a speak oriented guy. A lot of old timer headfier's here that have had "end game" headphone setups have moved onto speakers as well, for some it doesn't hurt to have both as if it allows them. Personally nothing to disagree with in my opinion in a well treated room with the right setup even if it costs more, speakers do offer a unique and better sound that headphones do not. 

Jul 1, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #3 of 10
The discussion of headphone vs. speakers is a horse that has been beaten to death... And then brought back as a zombie and beaten once more for good measure. It's the same way where I may listen to a pair of headphones or speakers that I think are crap and others call them favorites. It is a matter of personal preference and I love both speakers and headphones. I use headphones more often for convenience, but it's a lot easier to find quality headphones by way of price versus performance. Each have their purpose, each are appreciated as we are audiophiles and the personal appreciation of sound comes first before pride of the medium.

Jul 1, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #8 of 10
what do you mean exactly?

I mean that if you are riding a city bus, it is not practical to use speakers. If you are watching a 7.2 channel surround sound action film, you really shouldn't be using headphones. If you want to feel a kick in the chest from an 18 hz explosion or a deep organ note, then you better have a room pressurized by a subwoofer. You have to know your requirements and your limitations before you can select the right tool for the job. You can't just say "speakers are better than headphones" OR "headphones are better than speakers" - that's the wrong approach to the problem.

Jul 17, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #9 of 10
Clear enough, thank you mister.
Let's get a pair of stax sr-009.
Should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back