A really sucessful story.
Jul 7, 2003 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

s.c

Head-Fier
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/a...audiozone.html
www.diyaudio.com
An amp components under $200, now sell for $1795.
280smile.gif

Jul 8, 2003 at 12:18 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by s.c

An amp components under $200, now sell for $1795.
280smile.gif

You forgot to mention another detail: the circuit for both amps comes directly from page 1 of the National Semiconductor datasheet for the chip used...
eek.gif

National makes some great chips and I've had nothing but good experiences working with their products (mainly because they produce such excellent, comprehensive and truthful datasheets) but $1800 worth of amp an LM3875 does not make!

It's a fine chip that does everything right except for the output stage. Going with the quasi-complementary symmetry output was a poor choice w/r/t crossover distortion, expecially since most IC manufacturers have been able to implement fast PNP devices monolithically for several years (National definitely being one of them).

It should also be mentioned that Peter Daniel - the man behind the Audio Zone p.o.s.* reviewed in the first link - is a moderator at diyaudio and one of the most vociferous subjectivists there.

* hint: it doesn't stand for "point of sale"

Jul 8, 2003 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 12
It is a couple of projects down the line, tho.

If it sounds even a quarter as good as several DIY'ers have reported, it is worth the cost in parts at least.

Having spent a lot of time at DIYAudio (and here) lately, I am almost ready to declare that I will only make my future audio components (sources excluded) from now on.

GnD

Jul 8, 2003 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 12
I built one for a friend using Burr-Brown OPA541 chips (I had some on hand). It sounded quite good after warming up. Just like a tube amp, it sounded kind of cold and scratchy until it got a good heating in. Never did figure out why. It sounded quite good, and the 3875 is supposed to sound even better.

Anyone who builds one with decent components (I used cheap stuff on his because he was cheating me HORRIBLY on what he paid) is sure to enjoy.

What if I was to tell you he got it for $20, which of course still has not been paid? Ya... I am still sore about that. I lost a lot.

Jul 8, 2003 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

I was considering PCB, but actually it would be the same amount of work. I would probably only gained on PS caps and LM chip mounting, but all the other connections would have to be done with cables anyway: Input from RCA to pot, pot to PCB, From PCB to binding posts, power suply capbles. I wouldn't place feedback resistor on the PCB also as it is best soldered directly to the IC pins. I also have to justify horrendous price tag. Since it is done P2P, I can always claim custom work and more time involved in production.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sounds like his target audience isn't people who read DIYaudio
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2003 at 9:56 AM Post #8 of 12
that looks like a very nicely implemented gainclone.

looks a bit similar to Peter Daniels gainclones on diyaudio.com

my attempt at a gainclone (£100 in parts) did sound very good for the money when it was built up (thou it is in pieces now after the -V wire came loose and blew one of my Kefs! *ahem*). needs a little more planning and better soldering on my part
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2003 at 11:10 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by damitamit
that looks like a very nicely implemented gainclone.

looks a bit similar to Peter Daniels gainclones on diyaudio.com

It is one of Peter Daniels gainclones. Good eye.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2003 at 8:10 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Squalish
It is one of Peter Daniels gainclones. Good eye.
smily_headphones1.gif

so it is!

*actually reads the article instead of looking at the *****!*

hmm, this is giving me motivation to go fix my gainclone right now! its been on the floor in pieces for about month looking sorry for itself...

Jul 9, 2003 at 12:59 AM Post #12 of 12
This is a Beautiful Amp. Nice Machined Case with spectacular aesthetics and a cosmetic Design to Blend in well with the Modern Look so prevalent in Interior Room-scapes now Days. Some may take issue with the Price, However since the unit is manufactured in small quantities and is limited in Distribution the Price seems a bargain to me. Consider that High End Audio is quite different than mass market Products intended for mass appeal. While the Sony's of the World offer Products with plenty of Features and Great specs, the sound of these Mid-Fi Systems is far less than available from Quality High End Components offering similar rated Specifications. Considering that the nearest competition to this amp is the $3,500 Gain Clone http://www.sakurasystems.com/products/47amp.htmland the $5,600 Jeff Rowland Amp http://www.jeffrowland.com/Concentra%20Page.htm
This Amp @ $1,700 is a bargain.

What i don't like is that this Amp appears to Be an Exact copy of the 47 Labs Design and as most of you Hear know i believe that just copying something may be Flattering to the Original designer, I am sure that marketing and sales at 47 labs would have issues with someone offering a copy of there Products for far less cost But that is capitalism. Still some sort of original thinking should go into works such as this, otherwise you just have a Nice lower cost Copy of a Well respected Amplifier. If you can live with that then the Price of this Clone is more attractive. Myself I Feel no Pride of ownership in such clones and would opt for the 47 Labs version. But if bargains are what you are after and don't mind the degraded Status of owning something not designed by a true Visionary like Junji http://www.sakurasystems.com/Junji.html then go ahead and get this lower cost clone.

Peter Danial is a talented Person and is also into making Electronics look good as seen on some of his posts at diy audio, so i am sure that his Amp would be well Built and stand the test of time. Also strangly enought I find myself aligned with Jefferyj's coment in that the LM-1875 dose not make the Best $1,800 Amp and IMHO a Discreet Design is what is needed in this price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back