A really good article
Oct 20, 2001 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Neruda

Banned Moderator
I brought this up in that huge long K501 thread, but I think so highly of this article that i felt it deserved its own thread
wink.gif

http://www.soundstage.com/maxdb/maxdb051999.htm

Everyone should read that article! It will redefine the way you think about audio equipment. the thought that's always on the back of my mind when i'm listening to audio equipment now is "yeah, it sounds good, but is it balanced?" It can actually get sort of annoying
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2001 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 20
GREAT article, Neruda. Thanks! Now I know why those AKG K340s sounded so wonderful.....and why, after listening to other headphones they sounded rather dull and uninspiring. Of all the headphones I have, to my ears, they are definitely the most balanced. Their closest competitor in that regard would be the Grado HP-1s, but even they fall a bit short. After a little while with the 340s on my head, I forget about the equipment and just listen to the fantastic music they make. Problem is, what the hell am I doing with all these other headphones? And I had those 340s well before I ever discovered HeadWize or Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2001 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 20
joelongwood: Perhaps - just maybe - at times, the 340s "balanced" presentation will be percieved as less balanced. I find that after strenuous physical activity, I'm after a laidback, smooth sound - one that is truly balanced (Senn. 495).

Well rested, I want some excitement, and usually grab my KSC-35s (I kno, I need Grados....) for their impactful bass.

After school, when my body is not tired but my mind is, to a certain extent, on some days - I want a nice, laidback but involving sound. So I grab my 888s.

If I had more cans, I'd be able to listen to music more - because different presentations suit my different sonic perception better.

So....well...hang on to those Grados, for the love of God!

Oct 21, 2001 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 20
but coolvij, that's the thing! if the senns are laid-back, it means they're not balanced! If the ksc-35's are up-front and dynamic, they're not balanced! I'm telling you, it will make you go crazy! And i just noticed I'm ending each sentance with an exclamation point! well, I guess that just shows how wild I think that article is!
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2001 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 20
Neruda: I understand what you're saying. However, you can do TWO things. Assume balanced means MEASURABLY balanced - and use empirical evidence to show that AKGs rock, Senns are nice, and Grados suck. No matter how you feel.

OR - you can judge cans by your ears.

At different times, different things sound more life-like; what is more balanced than REAL life?

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2001 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 20
But the whole point of the article, coolvij, is that if you notice the equipment or can tell what it's doing or adding to the music, then it's not lifelike. it's not about measurements. A speaker might have a perfectly flat frequency response but if it sounds laid-back, it's not balanced. if it has a fast, dynamic bass then it's not balanced. it's wierd, I know, but I actually think it's sort of cool!

Oct 21, 2001 at 6:17 AM Post #7 of 20
great article! Thx Neruda
smily_headphones1.gif

One thing I have an issue about: using live unamplified music as the "perfect" reference point. While I do enjoy some accoustic music (classical, jazz, folk), most of the stuff I listen to is in fact amplified, ie: ROCK music. And what about electronica? There is no such thing as accoustic electric music
wink.gif
... anyway...

what I'm saying is this: balanced sound as described in the article is definately an overlooked and GREAT point (in fact it's the MOST IMPORTANT point) concerning hi-fi. However unamped live music can't be a perfect reference point simply because a lot of music will never be played unamped and live so you can't compare it.

anyway.. just my $.02

Oct 21, 2001 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 20
Grr.....I see what you're sayin....don't know if you see what I'm sayin...meh....regardless, it is a cool article.

Oct 21, 2001 at 2:54 PM Post #9 of 20
To clarify, I said the Koss were impactful because when I *wanted my Senns* they'd seem TOO impactful, bassy, and muddy.

OTH - when I wanted my Koss, the KSC-35 would sound just right (not very detailed, tho
smily_headphones1.gif
), but my Senns would sound too delicate, lacking punch.

Do u see what i'm sayin?

Differentiating between cans I do when I'm in the mood for ONE - then it's easy to criticise the others....

Basically - I think different presentations are good, since perceptions change at different times....

Oct 21, 2001 at 4:45 PM Post #10 of 20
Neruda, you're on head-fi right now - RESPOND!!!

from vij, who is pulling a "xander"

Oct 21, 2001 at 5:17 PM Post #12 of 20
I agree with that article 100%. There are so many expensive HI-FI products that only excell in certain areas. I feel this is a major cause of people upgrading over, and over again.
I know when I look for a component if it doesn't do many things well it doesn't come home with me either.
I also think this is another reason why some upper MID-FI products can sound better than more expensive HI-FI. They are more simply balanced across the board.
That was a very good read Neruda!
Thanks!

Oct 21, 2001 at 6:09 PM Post #13 of 20
Neruda: You have NO idea how happy I am

wink.gif

Oct 21, 2001 at 6:30 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

One thing I have an issue about: using live unamplified music as the "perfect" reference point.

Technically, it is a better reference point, IMO.

What I mean by that is that you really can't "accurately reproduce" rock, pop, electronic, etc. There is no "true reference" for those types of music, since everything (except a live drummer) is amped from the start.

However, classical, jazz, acoustic guitar, vocals -- these types of music *have* a real sound that is unique, distinct, and objectively identifiable. Therefore, you can compare the original with the reproduced version (speakers, headphones) to see how well the electronics can reproduce them. In that way, live, unamplified performances are as good a reference point as you can get.

For amplified music, it comes down more to how you prefer listening to the music, since you can't really figure out how it "really" sounds.

Oct 21, 2001 at 10:42 PM Post #15 of 20
I think those two opposing lists at the end of the article are especially convincing. I have always felt, that establishing an emotional connection to the music - and forgetting about the equipment or details of the reproduction in the process - is the only important thing. I just want to enjoy my music. That's why I feel that the best test is to watch your own emotional reactions. Ultimately, this is the only criterion that has any validity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back