A rather unusual question
May 16, 2012 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ThomasH

New Head-Fier
I haven't ever heard a clear comparison between Sennheiser HD-25 and Audio-Technica M50s. I'm looking to upgrade from my HD 280 pros. Looking for something a little more portable and less bulky. Would someone be able to compare the sound quality as well as the sound isolation in these two cans? I would like to listen at half volume or a little higher without disturbing those working around me. Would both cans compete similarly in this regard? If the headphones perform similar in this regard, is the sound quality noticeably different between the two? I appreciate you guys reading this.

May 16, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #2 of 10
The ATH-M50 is a small upgrade over the HD 280 Pro.  The M50 are built way better and have lasted me 5+ years with no issues.  A major upgrade in sound quality would be going to the HD-25 Originals.  Keep in mind you are going from a $150 ATH-M50 or $100 HD 280 Pro to a $250 can so the comparison is biased from the start.

The HD-25 remain one of my highest over all recommendations if the budget allows.  They sound awesome and really well balanced.  They are not too bassy, the mids are not weak so vocals are more upfront, and the treble is not cut off.

Here are the charts comparing them all:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=533&graphID[]=2941&graphID[]=513

The Sennheiser HD 280 Pro can give more bass as longs as the seal is correcly, but they are so poorly built I would never recommend them.

The ATH-M50 have the lowest distortion of the bunch so if distortion is a concern go with them.
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=1&graphID[]=533&graphID[]=2941&graphID[]=513

The HD-25 have the cleanest 30Hz square wave response indicating great control over the lower frequencies.
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=3&graphID[]=533&graphID[]=2941&graphID[]=513

As for being less bulky the HD-25 will be slightly smaller than the others, but going to something like the byerdynamic DT1350 would be best.  They are even smaller and more portable, but they are a little more expensive than the HD-25.

If it were me going from the HD 280 Pro and the HD-25 is in my budget I would not hesitate the purchase.  The HD-25 is one of those extremely well tested and great sounding headphones.  They are a great upgrade from the $150 and below headphone market.

May 16, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #4 of 10
Why don't you get an IEM? Some IEMs have fantastic isolation and aren't that expensive. You can put the IEM in your pocket when you are finished listening to it.

May 16, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #5 of 10
Just some input here,

I was recently making the same decision as you. I upgraded my brother from his 280 to ath-m50s a week ago for his birthday, and was trying to decide between the two: hd25-II or m50s.

It's a pretty common debate, and i suggest you google it. Also take a look at headfonia's portable cans shoot out, it should answer some questions.

That being said, having listened to the m50s some, i really don't regret choosing the M50s. They're really flexible- make every style of music sound good which was important for my brother who has eclectic taste in music. I enjoy them so much that i'm considering picking up a refurbished pair for myself.

I was worried too that the M50 was not a significant upgrade from the 280, but comparing the two with the same setup, the M50s are noticeably better and more enjoyable in pretty much every aspect. This is just my opinion, but i would consider them an upgrade from the 280s any day. However my only experience with the 25-II is 20 minutes at a store demo some time back so i can't say much about SQ. I do remember them clamping down a bit more than i'd like but i do have a large cranium.

The m50s isolate well enough - you can hear the wearer listening to music at medium to moderate levels if you're sitting 4" away and are in a silent room. However i don't see this being a problem in an office environment. They are also more comfortable than the 280s, but overall similar in form factor, durability, and cable.

May 16, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 10
Unless you have compared the ATH-M50 to the HD-25 how do you know that the DH-25 is not even better?  I have done this test and currently own the ATH-M50.  I still recommend the HD-25 or HD-25-1-ii whichever fits your budget.  The differences between the HD-25 Originals and the HD-25-1-ii are quite subtle and perhaps not worth the extra $50.  The ATH-M50 are as bulky to wear as the 280 pro, but the ATH-M50 fold up a bit cleaner.

May 16, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #9 of 10
Well, no i'm not saying the m50 is better or worse than the HD-25. I'm saying that they are more of an upgrade from the 280s than the price difference would indicate.
Granted the various reviews I read indicated that there were more differences in the sound signature, and form factor than clear superiority/inferiority between the two.

I did say i can't comment on SQ difference between the HD25, and the M50.

To be clear I'm not necessarily suggesting the M50 over the HD25 so much as validating it as an option. The HD25 is and has been on my buy list for a while.

May 16, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
I haven't ever heard a clear comparison between Sennheiser HD-25 and Audio-Technica M50s. I'm looking to upgrade from my HD 280 pros. Looking for something a little more portable and less bulky. Would someone be able to compare the sound quality as well as the sound isolation in these two cans? I would like to listen at half volume or a little higher without disturbing those working around me. Would both cans compete similarly in this regard? If the headphones perform similar in this regard, is the sound quality noticeably different between the two? I appreciate you guys reading this.

Sound Quality:

HD25s > M50s

Subjective, granted, but I think most people who have listened to both will agree.

Isolation:

HD25s > M50s

But the isolation of the HD25s comes with a cost.  The M50s are almost as good at isolating.

Comfort:

M50s > HD25s

The isolation of the HD25 is achieved by clamping the $@%#! out of your head.  I can only wear them for around an hour and then I have to take them off to let my ears rest.

Bulkiness:

M50s > HD25s

The HD25 are very light.   The M50s are not the most portable cans you can buy...but they fold into a smaller package.

I love my HD25s.   I like my M50s (they are just meh).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back