A Raspberry Pi, an NAS, and an iBasso DX50
Dec 27, 2015 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BrianovichIV

Head-Fier
I found a Raspberry Pi v2 kit under the tree on Christmas morning, and I'm excited to make something with it. I've also been accumulating Amazon gift cards for a while and bought an NAS to tuck up on a shelf. 

First, let me say that I live in a tiny apartment and a kindergartener, so I don't have the space for a hi-fi system of any sort. I bought an iBasso DX50 as a stand-in and it's worked admirably. However, my music collection is in the TBs and managing micro-sd cards is tough.

I'm thinking of setting up the Pi with Rune Audio (or whatever Linux/Windows distro will work with my iBasso) and streaming music from the NAS, using the iBasso as a DAC. 

Small size and versatility are the most important here. A Pi doesn't take up much space, and I can disconnect the iBasso when I want to take it on the go or listen as I do laundry or whatever.

Is there anything I'm missing here? This all seems fairly straightforward but it's my first foray into computer audio. I'm an iPod kind of guy. 

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #2 of 5
Apologies for not having experience with RasberryPi myself however the latest edition of Maximum PC magazine has a tutorial on setting it up as a dedicated music streamer.  the software they recommend for both owned and online streaming is called PI MusicBox distro.

from the article it suggests you can play music from SD card, USB or other networked devices.   sounds like it should work for you.

if you don't buy the magazine, they will likely have the tutorial on their site in a couple of months.

also, the previous month's editorial showed how to stream TV with RasberryPi

Dec 27, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 5
Part of the fun will be trying out different distributions to see which ones fit best. I'd also like to make a wooden box for it that will accommodate the iBasso and the Pi. I added the one you suggested to my list.

I'd prefer to use a PC, but I just don't have the space. I'm prioritizing the storage and data backup here, which makes using the Pi essential because it's so small.

I don't need it to stream video though. I'm quite happy with my Amazon Fire Stick...my movie and television needs are not nearly as exhaustive as my audio needs. 

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #4 of 5
I settled for Volumio, a hifiberry expansion board and a wireless NIC for streaming webradio and Flac from my NAS through the Pi.

Started out with a pi only and kept adding stuff until it sounded right to me. Without the expansion board and the wireless nic I could not get transparant high female vocals from the Pi. I now might invest in another Pi with the hifiberry amp board. That way I can build a very compact streamer for use with normal speaker for anywhere in the house (thinking kitchen, study). And the interface of Volumio is simple and easy to use (Nas flac an direct webradio streaming). 

Jan 3, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 5
I settled on Moode audio player. I output via USB into a HRT Music Streamer 2 and it sounds great. Next step maybe is a NAS later in the year, but am happy for now as all my FLACs are on the HTPC running Linux Mint 17.3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back