a quick setup question
Jan 9, 2020 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

d8n0g

100+ Head-Fier
for Christmas, my wife got me a boytone bt37mc. I know it's not the best, but it's mine. I'm going to get a schiit Vali 2 to drive my headphones, and my powered edifiers. I'm by no means an enthusiast. would that be an appropriate set up?

Jan 9, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 10
for Christmas, my wife got me a boytone bt37mc. I know it's not the best, but it's mine. I'm going to get a schiit Vali 2 to drive my headphones, and my powered edifiers. I'm by no means an enthusiast. would that be an appropriate set up?

Probably an improvement over taking an analogue signal then making it digital to pass through BT as most people use TTs like that one. If you haven't tried a good TT with a decent phono pre, you're not likely to know if that one sucks compared to that, let alone a Clearaudio TT with a really good tube phono pre.

Jan 9, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 10
I would just need a typical converter? btw, thanks for the help...I'm kinda lost on this one the converter then coñnects to an amp

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 10
last question. I have someone on Reddit saying an amp is just going to give me loudness...I'm looking for a a little more fullness through a pair of easy to drive cans. would the schiit give me that? I can't listen to speakers all the time.
so TT - amp - done?
or
TT - Converter - amp?

Jan 9, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 10
last question. I have someone on Reddit saying an amp is just going to give me loudness...I'm looking for a a little more fullness through a pair of easy to drive cans. would the schiit give me that? I can't listen to speakers all the time.
so TT - amp - done?

An amplifier takes a low level line signal and amplifies it to drive a transducer, whether that happens to be a headphone or speaker.

Even a smartphone has a headphone amplifier, it just happens to be integrated into the audio chip which in Snapdragon phones is in turn integrated in the CPU's chipset. Think of it like how games need a 3D graphics accelerator, and smartphone audio chips are like CPUs or APUs that range from something like an old Intel i5 with an HD420 GPU to a current Ryzen 7 4700U with Vega 12 graphics. The problem there is when your game ie headphone can't run at 60fps minimum on anything less than an RTX 2070 Super, except in audio there isn't an easily quantifiable metric like fps. All you get is "if you can deliver this much power into this impedance load, and this load has this sensitivity, there is absolutely no chance in hell you will clip the signal unless you try to make the softer parts of a classical music recording

Also, "easy to drive" is kind of as compicated as "what hardware gets xxfps on this game." On the latter it's a matter of how detailed the graphics are, how much processing power does it need between the CPU (strategy games) vs the GPU (fps and similar), or whether it uses a more efficient API like Vulcan. And then it can happen that low cooling capacity can throttle or prevent the CPU and GPU from ramping up so despite the same CPU, RAM, and GPU+VRAM one properly built system can be 3% faster while running 12dB quieter. On headphones, it's not just a matter of "how much power for given sensitivity." Power delivery changes based on the impedance, and so does damping factor. If your amp circuit's - regardless of whether it's a separate amp or built into a smartphone or whatever - output impedance is high enough and the headphone's nominal impedance is low enough, you're going to end up with the amp having less control over driver movement.

TT - Converter - amp?

I'm still lost at what "converter" is. Convert what? Like a phono preamp? I seriously doubt a TT that for some reason has BT for convenience (despite negating the whole point of using vinyl) would then be inconvenient enough to make the user figure out whether it has an MM or MC cartridge and ergo buy a phono preamp that works with either one.

Jan 9, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 10
What headphones?

Jan 9, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #9 of 10
An amplifier takes a low level line signal and amplifies it to drive a transducer, whether that happens to be a headphone or speaker.

Even a smartphone has a headphone amplifier, it just happens to be integrated into the audio chip which in Snapdragon phones is in turn integrated in the CPU's chipset. Think of it like how games need a 3D graphics accelerator, and smartphone audio chips are like CPUs or APUs that range from something like an old Intel i5 with an HD420 GPU to a current Ryzen 7 4700U with Vega 12 graphics. The problem there is when your game ie headphone can't run at 60fps minimum on anything less than an RTX 2070 Super, except in audio there isn't an easily quantifiable metric like fps. All you get is "if you can deliver this much power into this impedance load, and this load has this sensitivity, there is absolutely no chance in hell you will clip the signal unless you try to make the softer parts of a classical music recording

Also, "easy to drive" is kind of as compicated as "what hardware gets xxfps on this game." On the latter it's a matter of how detailed the graphics are, how much processing power does it need between the CPU (strategy games) vs the GPU (fps and similar), or whether it uses a more efficient API like Vulcan. And then it can happen that low cooling capacity can throttle or prevent the CPU and GPU from ramping up so despite the same CPU, RAM, and GPU+VRAM one properly built system can be 3% faster while running 12dB quieter. On headphones, it's not just a matter of "how much power for given sensitivity." Power delivery changes based on the impedance, and so does damping factor. If your amp circuit's - regardless of whether it's a separate amp or built into a smartphone or whatever - output impedance is high enough and the headphone's nominal impedance is low enough, you're going to end up with the amp having less control over driver movement.

I'm still lost at what "converter" is. Convert what? Like a phono preamp? I seriously doubt a TT that for some reason has BT for convenience (despite negating the whole point of using vinyl) would then be inconvenient enough to make the user figure out whether it has an MM or MC cartridge and ergo buy a phono preamp that works with either one.
an analog to digital converter. maybe, I misunderstood what you said. I thought you told me that that is what I would need

Jan 9, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #10 of 10
an analog to digital converter. maybe, I misunderstood what you said. I thought you told me that that is what I would need

Vinyl is already analogue.

What I pointed out is that TT you have has an ADC in it to convert that analogue signal to digital so it can send out audio compressed via BT. Which means in that chain you have analogue audio getting converted to digital sent via BT then the receiver converts it back to analogue.

My point there was that if what you have is a TT that has an arduous process of starting out with analogue for some reason then reverting it to digital for convenience (as opposed to just using digital in the first place), and that you haven't tried something like a Pro-Ject Debut III with a PhonoBox SE (let alone a Clearaudio TT with a Sugden Masterclass PA-4), running an analogue cable from that TT to a headphone amp driving a headphone would probably sound clearer than having used that same TT to send audio to wireless speakers, save for inherent advantages of speakers over headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back