a quick question :-)
Sep 22, 2002 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

blankdisc

500+ Head-Fier
This is really a good place. a lot of experts and people who like to give help.
Just have a quick question. I am thinking if i need to get Ety er6 or er4p. I have read a lot of reviews. the only question i left is that with a poor resource(like MP3, played by laptop and my new Sony Net MD N1 player), will they still be different(mainly the sound)?

Sep 22, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 11
Why spend so much money on a set of headphones if your sources are going to be crappy? The thing with better headphones is that they actually sound worse when paired with poor sources because they reveal the limitations of those sources. So, at best, you won't hear much of a difference for the better, at worst, you'll hear a great difference for the worse.

Sep 22, 2002 at 4:01 AM Post #3 of 11
thank you for your replay.
I do have a Grado SR-80, it's so good! i love it, now the problem is that this baby is too OPEN. My mom forces me to change it(so sad...hehe....). so any good suggestion for a sealed headphone, which is not as pricy as Ety er4p, and has great sound as my Grado?

Sep 22, 2002 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 11
I don't own any sealed phones, but from what I've read on this forum, the Sennheiser HD25 SP are supposed to be very good. They should be under $100. Sennheiser phones have a very different sound from Grado, so be sure to sample them before buying.

Sep 22, 2002 at 8:12 PM Post #6 of 11
Hey, for your purpose i'd say the very best phone is the beyer DT-250. It's great and really comfortable. It's a full-size headphone that goes around the ears (unless they are very big). Some prefer these even over the senn HD600. (for specific genres, that is. It kicks ninja-ass for rock!!)

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...w&pagenumber=2

Sep 23, 2002 at 1:45 AM Post #8 of 11
finally, there are only two headphones on my list. Beyerdynamic DT 250-80 AND Ety ER-6, which one is good for pop music, and easy to drive? help me to pick one, i know everyone have their own thoughts, just let me hear yours. btw, what is the difference of the sound come out from these two phones?

Sep 23, 2002 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 11
What about some MDR-D66s from Sony?
The DT250s, even at 80ohms would be tough to drive from an N1, unless you want an amp. An amp defeats "portable" music, I say. The D66s can be driven from anything, has a short cord plus extension and are suitable for all types of music. Nice detail, smooth and civilised sound and decent bass with NO flabbiness. They'd be cheaper too, at about $90. They are circumaural just like the DT250s, and very very comfortable.
Possibly the best portables 'phones around IMO, especially for MD use...

Sep 23, 2002 at 4:05 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Mystyler
An amp defeats "portable" music, I say.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with that statement. You see, all of the portable-audio-device manufacturers have killed "portable" music as we know it by limiting the output power of the built-in headphone outs. Many of those outs are so feeble that they can barely drive even earbuds to adequately loud levels! And next year, you can bet that the portable players will require an amp in order to drive even cheap $10 earbuds at all!
mad.gif

Sep 23, 2002 at 4:19 AM Post #11 of 11
It's true that the output on portables is becoming more and more weedy, but my D66s go loud enough to use as speakers in my room, with both of my MD units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back