A quick question to the cable makers out there...
May 7, 2005 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gordolindsay

1000+ Head-Fier
What size, brand, kind of heatshrink do you guys use? I would like to be able to cover part of the connector and the cable and have it stay in place. I know parts express carries the 3m heatshrink with adhesive but I guess I just don't know what size to get. Connectors will probably be Neutrik NYS352G, which are silver with gold plated connectors and the cable is Canare Starquad. Thanks in advance.

May 7, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #2 of 6
well a quick look at the manuf's website's shows the outter size of the rca plug to be 11mm and starquad is 6mm.

3m heatshrink is 2:1 shrink, id use 12mm. the 3:1 adhesive stuff id try use 12mm too.

May 8, 2005 at 9:47 AM Post #3 of 6
Alright, thanks a ton. Looks like I got some shopping to do!
icon10.gif

May 9, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 6
I'm new to DIY cable but in my opinion 3/4 " cheapo 3-1 shrink works just as good as the more expensive kinds if you take your time. It's big enough to go around the connectors and shrinks down perfectly and tightly onto coax or starquad... I'd say it actually shrinks down into maybe a 1/8"-3/16" diameter. You can find it around a buck a foot. What I've found works best for me is shrinking some black down just below the connectors, then a layer of clear over the black and up around the connector for the ultra grip. I just use a cheapo old heat gun my uncle had gathering dust in his garage 8 )

May 10, 2005 at 7:07 AM Post #6 of 6
From personal experience dual wall shrink is best for rca cap finish. it acts as a far superior strain relief then normal shrink and clings to what ever flex you decide to use with it.

if you take into consideration the density and stability of dual wall prior to cool down after shrinking in comparison there is no question of a doubt that its the way to go.

my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back