A quick question about sound cards
Nov 9, 2011 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

PCHU

New Head-Fier
Alright, I'm currently running Linux (Ubuntu) and I was just wondering...

When I got curious and finally looked up sound cards, a few caught my eye, but I'm a bit confused about something.
Are they compatible with Linux?
I haven't seen anything on it yet, and I'm fairly stupid when it comes to computer things ._.;

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #2 of 4

Quote:
Alright, I'm currently running Linux (Ubuntu) and I was just wondering...
When I got curious and finally looked up sound cards, a few caught my eye, but I'm a bit confused about something.
Are they compatible with Linux?
I haven't seen anything on it yet, and I'm fairly stupid when it comes to computer things ._.;

You might have better luck asking this on a Linux forum.
On do a search on the web for "Linux sound card".

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #3 of 4
Most sound cards should work fresh from a Linux install, but you probably won't get many of the extra features that their Windows drivers offer.

And while I don't know about Creative's pre-X-Fi hardware, genuine X-Fi cards (EMU20k1, EMU20k2) and Linux are NOT a pleasant mix. It wasn't so bad when the ctxfi driver got added to ALSA and I was still using the X-Fi Prelude in my flagship, but the X-Fi Forte's front left/right channel is completely silent for some dumb reason (while rear left/right still works, so I instead have to use that). Titanium HD users apparently can't get sound at all.

However, it doesn't bother me as much solely because Linux in its many flavors is just an OS I dabble in. I still run Windows as my primary, if only because of the games (which is also the only reason I use Creative-based cards in the first place).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back