A quick question about choosing a Guitar
Jan 30, 2008 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Chu

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello all. I've wanted to pick up an acoustic for a while now, and I have a musiciansfriend 20% off anything coupon in front of me. Considering it's tagged to my name I can't just sell it to someone who will use it for something really nice*, and I've been on their mailing list for years for various pro-audio purchases without ever getting something like this so I assume it's not like the BB&B coupons where I can just get another.

Anyways, my price ceiling is $400, so no Martin's here. I've done a bit of research and on every "cheap" acoustic list two Guitar's keep coming up over and over. The Taylor "Big Baby" and the Seagull "S6." I have no way to demo the S6
frown.gif

Any reason to pick one or the other? Also any other guitars you really feel should be on the short list?

*[size=xx-small]If you are local to Chicago and want to use it on something nice and/or expensive, a purchase can be worked out[/size]

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #2 of 31
I have played the Taylor Big Baby, and I don't care much for it. It sounds small and boxy compared to my Larrivee Parlor. Can't comment on the Seagull, but I hear good things about it.

See ya
Steve

P.S. I got my Larrivee Koa Parlor used for $450. You might look for a nice used guitar.

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 31
Definetly go with the Seagull S6. I've owned one for more than 10 years and absolutely love it. The solid cedar top means the tone gets better and better with time as you play it. The sound is very nice but not very bright. Lots of mids.

Feb 2, 2008 at 9:47 AM Post #4 of 31
Takamine GS330S Acoustic Guitar
272725.jpg

I own this guitar and am thoroughly pleased with it. I was talked down to this from the $600 Martin I planned on buying when I went into the guitar shop.

Like the Seagull it has a solid-cedar top, but it has laminate back and sides and a lower price tag. I considered the Seagull, but after playing both I liked the tone of the Takamine just as much and I liked the looks better.

Feb 2, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tayman20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats awesome, the GS330S was my first guitar as well. It now collects dust as I have a Taylor 410ce that keeps me company
biggrin.gif

This one's my campfire/lays on the couch guitar. I actually have a new (to me) Martin D-16 that pretty much stays in the case all of the time. Someday it'll get more action, I hope. To be honest, anymore I don't even think it sounds that much sweeter than the Takamine. Both of my electrics hardly see any time either and they're even nicer yet. I've got a nice ~1980 Jap. Strat with EMG SA single coils, and then a 1959 Rickenbacker Combo 450 that my grandfather just passed down to me.

Feb 2, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #7 of 31
on the cheaper guitar end i think the seagulls sound very good...and they're easy to play. while i like the takamines made in japan, they're pricier...the takamines made elsewhere don't sound nearly as good, IMO.

i second the suggestions to find a used guitar...better bang for the buck if you're patient and shop around.

Feb 3, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
on the cheaper guitar end i think the seagulls sound very good...and they're easy to play. while i like the takamines made in japan, they're pricier...the takamines made elsewhere don't sound nearly as good, IMO.

i second the suggestions to find a used guitar...better bang for the buck if you're patient and shop around.

I guess you haven't heard my guitar then.
biggrin.gif
Honestly, I didn't believe it myself at first. I did a lot of comparison to other peoples guitars in my friends and family right after I bought that one. First and foremost it really trumps my uncle's (a professional musician) $1,150 made-in-Japan Takamine (below).
272812.jpg

I found a natural finish MIJ Takamine with a spruce top that sounds a bit better (more detailed) but it was ~$1,500. Now don't get me wrong there are tons of guitars out there that sound better than my cheap Takamine, but for under $500 it's a tough road to hoe trying to find something that is as good or better. The Seagull S6 is one of those guitars but I don't necessarily think it sounds better.

Feb 3, 2008 at 10:18 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess you haven't heard my guitar then.
biggrin.gif
Honestly, I didn't believe it myself at first. I did a lot of comparison to other peoples guitars in my friends and family right after I bought that one. First and foremost it really trumps my uncle's (a professional musician) $1,150 made-in-Japan Takamine (below).
272812.jpg

I found a natural finish MIJ Takamine with a spruce top that sounds a bit better (more detailed) but it was ~$1,500. Now don't get me wrong there are tons of guitars out there that sound better than my cheap Takamine, but for under $500 it's a tough road to hoe trying to find something that is as good or better. The Seagull S6 is one of those guitars but I don't necessarily think it sounds better.

i guess i'd have to hear it to believe it, then
wink.gif
i had a wonderful takamine with great electronics that was my everyday guitar...but my goodall shamed it everytime it was taken out of the case, so out went the takamine...

Feb 3, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #10 of 31
Sometimes there's more difference from guitar to guitar than there is from model to model. That's why it's always best to buy somewhere where you can play a bunch and choose the one you want.

See ya
Steve

Feb 3, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally I think seagull guitars are horrible. Very dry, not so bassy tone. Never heard Taylor guitars though.

I agree. I hate Seagull guitars. There are a lot of people here who like them and I don't get it at all.

Feb 4, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #13 of 31
i think seagulls are good for the $, but i agree its not one of the best. I own a Taylor 410CE as well and i just love it.. but taylors are well above your budget and i would not recommend the baby taylor.

I would say, go for a seagull, but like one of the advises here, just go to a near music shop (guitar center has a wide variety of well-priced guitars), try em out and see what sounds good to your ears.. thats what really counts in the end

Feb 4, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by irjoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think seagulls are good for the $, but i agree its not one of the best. I own a Taylor 410CE as well and i just love it.. but taylors are well above your budget and i would not recommend the baby taylor.

I would say, go for a seagull, but like one of the advises here, just go to a near music shop (guitar center has a wide variety of well-priced guitars), try em out and see what sounds good to your ears.. thats what really counts in the end

Agreed. Just try some our for yourself and see. I happened to like my Taylor more than some guitars that cost about $500 more. It really just depends on personal taste.

Feb 4, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #15 of 31
I agree with the folks saying that playing the guitar before you buy it is a must. There are almost always differences in tone and the wood condition when comparing guitars even of the same model. I looked at and played several different Martin guitars before I bought my D-16 (including other D-16s) and when I found the one I was going to buy I could tell right away that it was the one I wanted. If I would have bought the first one I found I would have been severely missing out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back