A quick question about amping Westone 3s with a P51
Feb 1, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #16 of 31
Source, source, source. If your source isn't going to give you the best from the original recorded music then you can't change water into wine unless. . .

So, you are asking an amp to change and add back what lossy format is taking away. I use only lossless and with this in mine, yes the P-51 works great, at least for me. This is with my UM2 and other monitors. Do I hear a difference when using the line out of my iRiver 120 or 140? Yes and it is a nice step up and the phone out on the iRiver is good in my opinion.

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Source, source, source. If your source isn't going to give you the best from the original recorded music then you can't change water into wine unless. . .

So, you are asking an amp to change and add back what lossy format is taking away. I use only lossless and with this in mine, yes the P-51 works great, at least for me. This is with my UM2 and other monitors. Do I hear a difference when using the line out of my iRiver 120 or 140? Yes and it is a nice step up and the phone out on the iRiver is good in my opinion.

When I first got my W3s, and then the Mustang, I conducted several tests using 192/256/320 kbps, Apple Lossless, and WAV files to see/ hear for significant changes.

I settled with 256 kbps, though was tempted to settle for 192, to be honest. I suppose on a psychological level, 256 made me feel better, but cannot HONESTLY say that lossless or WAV sounded REALLY/ SIGNIFICANTLY better.

Carried out same test with my HD650s after 200 hrs burn-in, and came to the same conclusion.

Unfortunately, I've come to realise that, in my view, a lot of the reviews & opinions sound as if there really was a serious difference in sound quality.

From the stock iPod phones to the Sony mdrex90s, there was a massive improvement that anyone around me noticed. The next stages in my pursuit for better sound showed me that these changes were not as drastic as I was made to believe by so many reviews.

However, I was and still am VERY happy to have got the W3s and sold the Shure's, and if it wasn't for my new HD650's I would've regretted having spent nearly $450 on the Mustang. I really thought that it would make the W3s sound SIGNIFICANTLY better.

I remember reading Ray's advice on LOD and so on for the Mustang. But in my experience, with the iPod Classic 160gb + W3's and 192/256 kbps mp3s files and using the Headphone out only, I think the sound is absolutely brilliant.

NOW I understand the (unconscious) need to try and get more gear, but, again, in MY opinion, this starts to become an endless quest for something that REALLY isn't there, or at least there to justify the cost.

So, no regrets on the Mustang, but only because they can drive the HD650's nicely.

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #18 of 31
That's really a shame.

Most of my music is lossless, though. truth be told I can't hear a difference, but I'm really just future proofing so that I don't have to re-burn all my CDs if I notice a difference down the road.

sounds like the classic is just not a good enough source for an amp to matter, especially because I almost always listen to music at low volumes.

What if I got an imod to fix the source? Theoretically, would the imod make a big(er) difference if combined with a mustang?

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #19 of 31
subtitle improvements could be say if you have a good source.
But honestly, an amp is really justified with Headphone, not hearsphone.
If you want go amplified with W3, Mustang couldn't be a bad choice.
The question is, does it need it ??

Nota :
What if I got an imod to fix the source? Theoretically, would the imod make a big(er) difference if combined with a mustang?
YES.
It's a real good reason to go amplified, but with GOOD caps...
Imod

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatguyoverthere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's really a shame.

Most of my music is lossless, though. truth be told I can't hear a difference, but I'm really just future proofing so that I don't have to re-burn all my CDs if I notice a difference down the road.

sounds like the classic is just not a good enough source for an amp to matter, especially because I almost always listen to music at low volumes.

I think you've made a great investment on the iPod Classic and the W3s. I can tell you, however, that I did notice a difference between 128 kbps, and 192, but not really from 192 to 256. Like I said I think it was more of a psychological thing, really.

And, don't forget, what matters most is the Music, and I feel you (and me, of course) are very fortunate already to be able to listen to it on the gear you've got.

Hope that helps.

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #21 of 31
Well, thanks everyone, this has been very helpful. I don't think I'll be buying a mustang after all, which is great news for my wallet.

In a somewhat unrelated question, how much space do you think 7000 256kb/s songs would take up? Probably about 60GB, right?

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Well, thanks everyone, this has been very helpful. I don't think I'll be buying a mustang after all, which is great news for my wallet.

In a somewhat unrelated question, how much space do you think 7000 256kb/s songs would take up? Probably about 60GB, right?

Can't really say, as lots of the songs/ pieces I have are 10 mins or longer. 192 gives you great quality, really, but if you want 256 you can work it out from what you're using at present, whether 128 or 192.

192 is 50% more than 128, and 256 is 33.33% or 1/3 more than 192.

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

I've read elsewhere here on Head-fi and elsewhere that the earlier generation iPods really benefited from iModing, but that later models, certainly the 6th Gen Classic 80/120/160gb, were already quite improved as they came. Not 100% sure on this one, but that may also apply to the 5.5 Gen.

The article explaining all of this was quite detailed in explaining the changes from previous models to more recent ones. I obviously remember the 6th Gen because that's the one I've got.

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #24 of 31
There is no iMod for the Classic mainly because of technical reasons, but also because the sound quality is better than with previous generations. There is no more bass fall down like in earlier models. The Classics deliver flat and clear response.

I also thought about buying the Mustang for my Classic/IE8 combo, but I find the sound quality straight out of the Classic hp out to be really very good. So I think I would also not gather much sound quality wise.

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #25 of 31
Ok, when I said imod, I meant out for my old 5G.

and Music_4321, this is a dumb question and I'm sorry to insult your intelligence like this, but the mustang you have is burnt in and being used out the LOD, right?

Feb 1, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Ok, when I said imod, I meant out for my old 5G.

and Music_4321, this is a dumb question and I'm sorry to insult your intelligence like this, but the mustang you have is burnt in and being used out the LOD, right?

Yes, it's got about 250 hrs burn-in, and used with a LOD

And by the way, the iMod, I believe, is very expensive, and from what I've read you might be better off upgrading (eventually) to a Classic, perhaps?

The 160gb has been discontinued, and now is quite expensive (£344.50 from Amazon UK), and may be refurbished if purchased from eBay, which I personally wouldn't go for. But the new 120gb (£162.00) has same features (or more, even, as it's newer), much better battery life than the 5th Gen, and is slimmer too.

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #27 of 31
I currently have a 160GB classic. It's actually 100% scratch free. It'd be good as new if it weren't for the faded color on the scroll wheel.

If I did iMod my video, I'd replace the harddrive and battery so that it could compete with the classic. I don't think I'll ever iMod, though, because it would ridiculously expensive to do the imod, buy the cable, and buy all the replacement parts. So yeah, I'm sticking to classic.

Unfortunately, I just know I'[ll give in and buy some sort of portable amp at some point. But for now, I'm satisfied.

In other news, the Steelers winning tonight was total BS.

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

In other news, the Steelers winning tonight was total BS.

More exciting news for some, who like me, don't live in the US is Liverpool beating Chelsea 2-0 and being only 2 points away from Man Utd.

And then, of course, Nadal beating Federer and winning the Australian Open in 5 sets after winning Wimbledon and the French Open - now he only needs to win the US Open.

Feb 2, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More exciting for some, who like me, don't live in the US is Liverpool beating Chelsea 2-0 and being only 2 points away from Man Utd.

And then, of course, Nadal beating Federer and winning the Australian Open in 5 sets after winning Wimbledon and the French Open - now he only needs to win the US Open.

Completely off topic, but I agree about Nadal
wink.gif
I'm sorry, I just like to see Federer beat hehe.

Oh, and the Cardinals got ROBBED! I can't BELIEVE the last 5:30 of that game!

Feb 3, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtgamble /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Completely off topic, but I agree about Nadal
wink.gif
I'm sorry, I just like to see Federer beat hehe.

Oh, and the Cardinals got ROBBED! I can't BELIEVE the last 5:30 of that game!

5:30, try last 40 seconds!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back