A quick question about amping Westone 3s with a P51
Jan 30, 2009 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

thatguyoverthere

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I recently bought a pair of Westone 3s for use with my iPod Classic. they're great in terms of detail, but the sound is kind of tiny and distant. I'm positive that this is because of my source, since even plugging them into my old iPod video gave me an improvement. Unfortunately the 30GB storage capacity of the video makes it impractical for lossless music, so I'm hoping that getting an RSA mustang will be enough to fix the sound.

Basically, I was wondering whether someone who has used a mustang with a classic and westone 3s (seems a surprisingly large number of people have from what I've seen) could tell me whether they fix the issues I'm currently having. Specifically, the very tiny and distant (especially with vocals) sound? If the mustang don't make the sound considerably larger, I doubt I'll be paying the money for them.

thanks in advance.

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatguyoverthere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, let me say it in a simpler way:

Will a RSA mustang significantly increase the sound stage and forwardness of the mids on my iPod classic with Westone 3s. (using the LOD)

I've an iPod Classic 160GB, W3s, Mustang & LOD.

The key word on your post is 'significant'. There would be a slight improvement, but only very slight. So, NO, there's no significant improvement in the overall sound in all respects, IMO. And for $375 + shipping + paypal fees ($439.72 to Spain), I'm not sure it's worth it.

But if you think that kind of money is worth it for such slight improvement, then go for it. The build quality, looks and size of the Mustang (& customer service) are certainly A++

Feb 1, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #9 of 31
I think the question is one you probably have to answer yourself. Some people don't notice a difference between the stock iPhone buds and an expensive set of IEMs. If you are one of those people, an amp will make no difference. Ultimately it comes down to taste and how you hear. I personally decided to order a Mustang to go with my SE530s because after getting them, I felt that they were a huge improvement, and I wanted to push them as far as I can.

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

thanks for the honest answer.

Do you think that the difference will at least be noticeable? It's really the mid range I am concerned about.

IMO, it was only slightly noticeable on some tracks, but only VERY slightly. In my case, if I had to decide again on whether to get the Mustang or not, after what I know now, then I would NOT spend that much money, not even half of that, for that matter.

However, I recently purchased a new set of Sennheiser HD650s (big non portable headphones) and the Mustang helps drive these (more volume) quite nicely than just using the iPod HP out, though the HP out doesn't do a bad job at all on the HD650s, but at times, on some recordings, with quiet bits (classical - chamber/ jazz & some rock) more power is needed, so I'll be keeping the Mustang ONLY for that reason.

But, as with the W3s I haven't really noticed a significant improvement in the overall sound quality, but there IS a very significant one in the volume department.

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtgamble /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the question is one you probably have to answer yourself. Some people don't notice a difference between the stock iPhone buds and an expensive set of IEMs. If you are one of those people, an amp will make no difference. Ultimately it comes down to taste and how you hear. I personally decided to order a Mustang to go with my SE530s because after getting them, I felt that they were a huge improvement, and I wanted to push them as far as I can.

In my case, for the record, I noticed a tremendous difference between the stock iPod phones and my Sony MDR-EX90s (£60), and a not so significant difference between the Sony's and the Shure SE530s, but none of those beat the W3 which, in my view, are better than the others, though in all honesty, compared to the Shures the difference wasn't so drastic sound wise, but certainly enough for me to sell the Shures; there were other aspects of the SE530s I didn't like: bulkiness, extensions, heavy, cheap looking, and microphonics.

Feb 1, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

thanks. what genres do you ussually listen to?

Who are you addressing/ asking?

Feb 1, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

you

Rock - All King Crimson & Robert Fripp (studio & live) albums; all albums by Henry Cow, Van Der Graaf Generator, The Beatles, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Radiohead, Tool, Porcupine Tree, Japan & David Sylvian. Then lots of other albums by several artists.

Classical - Mostly complete string quartets by Beethoven, Bartok, Haydn and Mozart string quintets. Also, Bach violin sonatas & partitas, complete organ works, and other sacred music. Arvo Part's Tabula Rasa, solo piano work by Beethoven & Satie, mostly. Plus some other 40 CDs from Elgar to Vivaldi.

Jazz - Mostly John Coltrane, Kenny Wheeler & Miles Davies

Ambient - Most of Brian Eno's albums, John Hassel, Hector Zazou & Mark Isham.

And also quite varied stuff, including Punk, Pop, World music & some Flamenco.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back