A quick hello....wallet, meet world
Nov 25, 2010 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tws1

New Head-Fier

Been lurking for ages, it is about time I said HELLO. This place is massive there is so much information here. I have read as much as I can read, and I am ready to build my first system. I think some of you are not going to like this much....

I guess this is also a massive thank you to everyone, this is such a great place, I hope I can give a bit back in the future. I will open a build thread when I have everything I need.

Some guy posted something on here about amplifiers literally just driving the headphone, and it is the differences in the sound that warrants their price. With this in mind, I have chosen to build a home theatre PC with an Essence sound card. I assume I can tweak the sound sufficiently if I need to.  In my mind, modern electronics and IC chips are of a very high quality, certainly good enough for a first-timer. At the moment I am a massive iTunes user, it is so easy to use, plus I can use the iPhone remote. At the moment I have some Sony V6’s and an Audigy sound card. It is time for something even better than that!

I hope to install an Essence sound card into a HFX Micro M2 case, the nicest desktop case I could find. Look similar to K701’s? They look great together and hopefully will also sound great, at least for a first setup.

HFX Micro M2
Essence STX
AKG k701

...woo first post....

Nov 25, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 4
Welcome to HeadFi,
Sorry about your wallet.

Seems like a sweet idea. If I had the money, but couldn't afford the iMac, I might would build a dedicated Music Server myself.  You might find the soundcard woefully inadequate to drive the 701s though as they need serious quality/quantity to sound their best.  

Good luck and God save your wallet, cuz we sure wont. 
beerchug.gif

Nov 25, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #3 of 4
Welcome to Head-Fi!

So sorry about your wallet.

Quote:
Seems like a sweet idea. If I had the money, but couldn't afford the iMac, I might would build a dedicated Music Server myself.  You might find the soundcard woefully inadequate to drive the 701s though as they need serious quality/quantity to sound their best.

That's what I'm doing when I'm able to get some spare money. My current computer is going to be transformed into a media server when I upgrade. I also agree that the soundcard probably won't show you the full potential of the cans you have but it's not a bad start at all.

Nov 25, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 4
This is true, something is always better than nothing, just not as good as the best, which is always furthest from the nothing, and just above the second best...!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back