A quick bunch of Karma Q's
Feb 20, 2005 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Cyclone

Headphoneus Supremus
The title says it all, i have a few unresolved questions about the karma

1. Have the failing HD issues been sorted out yet by Rio?
2. What is the difference/is there a difference between a Parametric EQ and just a regular EQ?
3. Are there any adaptors that allow the karma to use the line out without the dock?
4. How is the players actual build quality ( does it creak, flex, etc)
5. If price and time arnt an issue which warranty should i get the Mack or the Viking?
6. Is there a radio adapter for the karma? EDIT: Sorry i didnt specify more, i mean an adaptor for the karma that will allow me to listen to the radio on it. not broadcast, i know there is a TON of those.
icon10.gif

7. How easy is it to replace the 20gb hard drive with the 40gb user replaced one?
8. How long does the battery last, lifetime wise not hrs.

There will likely be more questions down the line as i know im forgetting some
tongue.gif

Thanks in advance for the help and replys

Feb 20, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #2 of 7
you must have a boatload of money comin' in, eh?

Feb 20, 2005 at 6:38 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
you must have a boatload of money comin' in, eh?

biggrin.gif
i might have a few bills laying around from christmas, im trying to figure out how to spend em.

Feb 20, 2005 at 7:22 AM Post #4 of 7
1) Informally it appears the number of failures are decreasing
2) Parametric EQ allows you to adjust the width of any of the different bands to really fine tune (I'm content with the built in settins or I use the line-out so I haven't played too much with it myself)
3) Nope, they're being contemplated and worked on though...http://forums-riovolution.com/index.php?showtopic=11474
4) I think it's hard to say, while there is some flex etc, I have dropped mine onto ice, and been generally rather rough with it and had no problems. However, I would strongly recommend screen protectors (www.protectyourkarma.us) and a case (www.mindknob.com or www.vajacases.com)
5) I don't remember which warrant was 'better', I want to say the Viking had better customer service, do a search at riovolution.com as there have been quite a few threads about it (also listed in the FAQ there as well)
6) Not sure what you mean.....if you just mean an FM transmitter, short of the Griffin iTrip for the iPod, all FM transmitters are generic and universal. If you are looking at a car install you should consider either an FM modulator or hard line solution offered by www.blitzsafe.com or www.pie.net (I have the P.I.E. one and it works beautifully, so much better than any 'FM' option as it is the equivalent of adding a line-in to an OEM deck)
7) www.mindknob.com/hack however with newer drives coming out that are thinner it might be even easier, http://forums-riovolution.com/index.php?showtopic=12210
8) I've had mine longer than most (16+ mos) and I still get full capacity, in fact I hadn't used mine for a month or so, and turned it on and it sitll had the same full charge. It gets its reported life of ~16 hours for mp3, ~12 hours for FLAC, and ~11 hours for OGG

Feb 21, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #5 of 7
Bear in mind the EQ will lessen Battery life as well.

Feb 21, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #6 of 7
i dont mind as long as it stays in the 12hr range.

anybody else have opinions on the questions i asked?
confused.gif

Feb 21, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #7 of 7
1. I agree that they seem to be declining. Reading more about problems with other players. My guess is that if you buy one of the later players, the problem has likely been resolved.
2. Good explanation in previous post.
3. See #2
4. JMO but I think it's every bit the quality of the iPod and most other players I've handled.
5. I've read up on both and feel like the Viking is the better plan. JMO though.
6. Several. I've to the Belkin but really just use that with the boombox at home for workouts. In the car, I decided wireless isn't the solution yet. Got the sony cassette adapter and it works well.
7. I've seen how-to's on the web. Will require a bit of dremeling but it doesn't look too bad. I'm hoping to give it a try if someone parts with a dead Karma for experimentation.
8. No idea on lifetime. As for hours, I've got the eq running. Backlight stays on for 10 seconds and the meters also running and I've gotten right at 12 hours of continuous playback. Do away with the bells and whistles and I feel confident the 15 hour advertised life is about right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back