A question to LaRocco PRII owners.
Jun 20, 2007 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Genetic

Headphoneus Supremus
A little part of Head-Fi membership has been witness to my desparate and pathetic attempt to find out where I could find a reliable source for correcting one of my deepest personal tragedy: my LaRocco PR II has missing screws....
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

Right after the start of my first thead on this tragic topic, I have contacted few serious entreprises on the net but my reputation has probably preceded me and to this day I haven't got any reply.

So I turn again to the Head-Fi collective wisdom and ask this once more:

Is there someone on earth, beside the builder*, who can give me the specs of these elusives screws (in an ideal world the part's number...
wink.gif
).

I'm this close to start a contest about this....

Amicalement

* Dont ask or I'll have to kill you...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 20, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 19
Do you mean the allen screws at the bottom front of the PRII as shown in this photo from the LaRocco site?
PRII-Silver2.jpg

I'll be happy to have a look at mine when I get home tonight, and give you approx dimensions or measurements. I don't have micrometer or fine measuring instruments of any kind, but will help in any way possible.

Jun 20, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 19
I'm going to Miami tomorrow to pick up an amp Flecom's been working on. I'll take my PRII with me to see if he knows. Also, have you tried posting in the DIY forum. Those are the guys with answers.

Jun 20, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean the allen screws at the bottom front of the PRII as shown in this photo from the LaRocco site?
PRII-Silver2.jpg

Yes Sir...
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, have you tried posting in the DIY forum. Those are the guys with answers.

It was the logical thing to do
wink.gif
and I did. But I'm now a techno's moron with a lot of useless (to me) PDF catalogues.

I'm gratefull to any help I can get. Many thanks.

Amicalement

Jun 21, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #6 of 19
Here's a picture of the screw:
PRIIscrew.jpg

As you can see, it is almost 1/2" in length. What is not shown is that it is an Allen screw, that takes a 5/64" Allen wrench. I have no micrometer or thread guage of any kind, buy will venture it is 1/16" machine screw.

Good luck.

Jun 21, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have no micrometer or thread guage of any kind, buy will venture it is 1/16" machine screw.

This was the main difficulty I had: the «thread guaging» part.

1/16 is realy helpfull to me.

Merci Gene.

Amicalement,

Dany

EDIT:

How much for that screw....(Joking)

Jun 21, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #8 of 19
Genetic,
I'll be getting my PRII in the mail tomorrow. If you'd like, I'll take one screw out and go to a hardware store and find a matching screw and send it to you...I'd probably buy like 10 since they're so cheap.
How does that sound?

Do you know where I can find the replacement O-Rings?

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Genetic,
I'll be getting my PRII in the mail tomorrow. If you'd like, I'll take one screw out and go to a hardware store and find a matching screw and send it to you...I'd probably buy like 10 since they're so cheap.
How does that sound?

Do you know where I can find the replacement O-Rings?

I bought a bag of O-Rings online at a place called McMaster-Carr. I'm almost sure I have their mail with the part number archived at my office computer, so I can get it for you tomorrow.

Regards,
Diego

Jun 21, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #10 of 19
My o-rings are holding up pretty well, so haven't had to replace.

Looks like originals are 1 1/2" long X 1/16" thick, but a little longer of 1 5/8" long would stretch less, and perhaps last longer. Hardware stores, big box home centers, auto parts stores, or plumbing supply stores should have.

Here is an online source, where 1 1/2" x 1/16" are just over $6 for a bag of 100. I know nothing about them, but am just suggesting that they are cheap and readily available.

Also, it seems there is a numbering system for sizing o rings. The ones we want are AS568A Dash No: -029 or -030

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson
... I'll be getting my PRII in the mail tomorrow. If you'd like, I'll take one screw out and go to a hardware store and find a matching screw and send it to you...I'd probably buy like 10 since they're so cheap ...

Nick, that's very thoughtful of you. If you have no luck finding replacements, post back, and I can try here over the weekend.

Jun 21, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #11 of 19
The part number is 1201T43 at www.mcmaster.com.

Quote:

Originally Posted by diego /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a bag of O-Rings online at a place called McMaster-Carr. I'm almost sure I have their mail with the part number archived at my office computer, so I can get it for you tomorrow.

Regards,
Diego

Jun 21, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #13 of 19
Good News! I have found the screws! The only difference is that their about .5 mm shorter and black.
Genetic,
I didn't know if you had a PSR Unit as well so I bought you a full set of screws so they all match...even if you have a PSR, so I got you 8.
I'll have them out tomorrow.

Jun 21, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good News! I have found the screws! The only difference is that their about .5 mm shorter and black.
Genetic,
I didn't know if you had a PSR Unit as well so I bought you a full set of screws so they all match...even if you have a PSR, so I got you 8.
I'll have them out tomorrow.

I cant believe it....free at last.....I was all along secretly hoping to go black about these screws.

And yes indeed I have also the PSR so 8 is perfect.

This good deed has to be rewarded somehow...and it will......hummm....
wink.gif

Music Preferences:
Electronic
Hip Hop
Rap
Pop
Classical
Country
Jazz
Trance
Christian Contemporary
Head-fi Podcasts!