A question regarding the 2007 HR Portable Micro Amp
Nov 9, 2007 at 4:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

violeta88

500+ Head-Fier
I currently own a Meier-Audio Corda Move, and I have owned a current model Total Airhead and have also owned a Meier Porta Corda III. I like HeadRoom's crossfeed better than Meier-Audio's due to the more expansive soundstage it offers, but I didn't like the sound quality of the Airhead all that much. I'm also dissatisfied with my current amp, the Move, since it doesn't have the airiness that the PCIII had, and has a mediocre DAC in it. I am looking towards trying another HeadRoom amp, but I'm not quite sure about the sound of the Portable Micro, since it uses the same output stage opamp as the Airhead did, (although a different opamp in the other stages). I guess my question is: Does the Portable Micro have a considerably more refined sound than the current model Total Airhead, or do I need to look towards a more expensive HeadRoom amplifier to get the sound I want. I currently own Sennheiser HD580 headphones (with an HD650 stock cable) and Sennheiser HD595 headphones. I am looking towards getting a replacement pair of AKG K601's, (don't ask what happened to my last pair), and the only amp I have owned that sufficiently powered the AKG's was the Corda Move. I would like to save up for a portable amp to replace the Move that has a high quality DAC in it as well, and the 2007 Portable Micro seems like it would fit the bill. Since I have yet to hear anyone comment on its sound quality, I'm just wondering if it will have sufficient transparency for semi-critical to critical listening.
Thanks in advance,
Eric

Nov 9, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 12
I think I may have answered my own question by taking a second look at your website. While specs might not be the whole story, the distortion and frequency response specs on the Airhead are considerably worse than the new Micro Portable, or any home HeadRoom amp for that matter. And distortion was my main quibble with the Airhead. It looks like I'll be saving up for the Micro Portable w/DAC. Thanks.

Nov 9, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 12
I'll hazard to add here that the sound quality differences between the 'entry-level' AirHead unit and the 2007 Portable Micro are close to "night & day" imho!!
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Nov 25, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by JorgeC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll hazard to add here that the sound quality differences between the 'entry-level' AirHead unit and the 2007 Portable Micro are close to "night & day" imho!!
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

which of these two edges out over the other in better SQ? the current Portable MicroAmp or the MicroAmp w/ 2006 Desktop Module?

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #6 of 12
I would be interested in knowing the SQ difference between the new 07 Mobile Desktop unit and the 06 micros with desktop units (separate DAC and amp). Are the same boards used, and if so, is the sound about the same? ANyone compare these two?

Jan 18, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #7 of 12
How does the Portable Micro Amp with DAC compare to the Micro Stack? I know the former costs a bit less, but how does it compare in terms of price-performance ratio? I've heard amazing things about the Micro DAC and I'm wondering if a little one built into the Portable Micro Amp will stand up to similar quality. BTW, I'm planning to get either one to power a HD650 or K701.

Edit: Comparing the latest editions, as opposed to the 2006 version the previous poster mentioned.

Jan 22, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which of these two edges out over the other in better SQ? the current Portable MicroAmp or the MicroAmp w/ 2006 Desktop Module?

I'd say the 2006 Desktop Module is slightly better than the 2007 Portable Micro Amp. They're pretty different beasts, the new Micro Portable is an 8397 chip that's biased moderately into class-A. This is a common chip for portable amp makers and we think it's an appropriate solution for the class of amp. Biasing it into class-A may be more than most do, but we've got a pretty big battery in there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iKonoKlast
I know the former costs a bit less, but how does it compare in terms of price-performance ratio? I've heard amazing things about the Micro DAC and I'm wondering if a little one built into the Portable Micro Amp will stand up to similar quality.

That's two very different questions, right? Price performance ratio is about the same, as best we can manage. Remember, there's no such thing as a free lunch---make stuff fit into a less space and use less juice it won't sound quite as good; but it's portable and costs less. FWIW, the DAC sections are quite similar, it's the amp where most sound quality differences lay.

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #9 of 12
Would the Portable Micro Amp still be able to drive the HD650 at its full potential? I've been told that the Total Bithead drives them to about 80% potential and the Micro drives them to 100% potential.

Feb 22, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #11 of 12
<deleted>

Feb 22, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by empty265 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just like to ask a question about the SQ between the following three amps:

1.) HR Portable Micro 2007
2.) HR Micro 2007
3.) HR Micro 2006 w/Desktop module

In terms of SQ and power to drive cans such as the HD580/600/650, where would the portable 2007 be?

Would it be worse than the 2007 but better than the 2006 due to the electronics? Or would the lack of power affect it such that the 2006 is better?

Thanks.

Your question was already answered by the man himself at post #8 above:

Quote:

I'd say the 2006 Desktop Module is slightly better than the 2007 Portable Micro Amp. They're pretty different beasts, the new Micro Portable is an 8397 chip that's biased moderately into class-A. This is a common chip for portable amp makers and we think it's an appropriate solution for the class of amp. Biasing it into class-A may be more than most do, but we've got a pretty big battery in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back