A question on X-Fi Music Mod
Oct 11, 2008 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

netmask254

Head-Fier
I got a LM4562 and a Blackgate 3300uF@16V, and ready for mod. I'm not going to implement the third mod (ESD paper) due to cooling consideration.

The question is about the capacity of Blackgate is 50% larger than the recommendation (2200uF@16V), since I was not able to get the specified Blackgate product. I'm wondering how it matters the quality of sound. Will it sound quite different with the expectation?

Oct 11, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 8
I think the answers to all your questions can be found somewhere in here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/ho...no-56k-226975/

But in summary the x-fi's op-amps are known to be unreliable (not sure how?) and not the most musical for their specifiactions.

I'm interested in the 3rd mod on a Xonar. I have a Razer Copperhead mouse polling at ~1000Hz and when I move it around there is an audible fuss in the right channel. Doesn't effect the SQ but would the ESD paper fix the problem?

Oct 11, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #3 of 8
Yes, I did read it, but it is too long (100+ pages), and I'm not good at searching in this case
darthsmile.gif

Oct 11, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 8
Here's the summary:
1. C177 is not effect the sound quality (Yes the cap near the chip you gonna mod), only the stability because this cap oftean leak. 1000uF/6.3V should do it
2. Most important cap to modify is Line-out coupling capacitor. U can short them or for the safety reason use 33uF
3. Other important caps are c46 & c72 (op-amp 5v filter)---> change with 470uF/ 6.3 V
4. Don't use solid cap, they are worse for audia use cap with near voltage recomendation.So if you change c177, use the 6.3v or lower because it only filter 1.23 v.
5.LM4562 is to sharp, AD8599 give a better result

ERS paper is a money waste, u can always use blank pcb and ground it to ground to get the same effect (Yes, it imitated Faraday's cage)

Sorry for my bad english

Oct 11, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for your reply!

Originally I plan to modify the power cap (C177) only, now seems like I can do some more. BTW, about C177, C46 & C72, I thought you are talking abut some indexed places with a picture of this card. Could U point me some URL? Thanks!

About the OPA (AD8599) you recommended, just did a search but can't find any seller in China (You will also know that my English is also bad
jecklinsmile.gif
). At the first, I prefer AD4652BR. Unfortunately I found there are too many fake AD4652BR (MOD the name), thus give up this idea. Also because the power supply of OPA on this card is 5V only, it's considered that few OPAs can work perfectly under this voltage.

Oct 11, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #6 of 8
like slenpree told: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/ho...no-56k-226975/
it's the mother of all X-fi mods, but because it's got a long-long-long page i just summerized 4u (i'm copy thing i like then paste in my notepad), but i'm sorry i cannot remember which page.
there other link you can try: X-Fi bugs? I have solution - Bad Caps Hardware Discovery & Solution - CapsMod Forum - Powered by Discuz!
my x-fi based on trodas mods, he write in this forum also...but i can't do what he do, to much cap change!
I use diffrent op-amp in my X-fi, AD8599 for front, AD8066 for center/bass and LM4562 for surround...and i like AD8599, but that just a personal taste

Oct 12, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 8
it's not complicated, i just can't find 'audio grade' capacitor in my country and the only brand i found is nichicon, yes it's good but there's only one good value 1000uF/6.3...but that just enough for me. If your solder skill is not good enough you can always take it to the handphone repair technician, they always have a good hand and good solder iron (blower type)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back