A question on tagging classical music
Dec 3, 2015 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Bazile

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Folks;

I'm looking for suggestions on how to list the year of a classical piece. The year recorded or the year written? Thoughts and thank you in advance.

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 4
I go with the year recorded as when you happen to then get two (or more) versions of the same piece, it makes it easier to sort, for my system at least.

I know you can otherwise delve into which conductor the orchestra is using at the time, but I have versions of the same piece by the same orchestra recorded at different times.

Not to mention that recording age also gives you a slight insight into some of the perceived sound you're going to get.

Dec 3, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #3 of 4
I've always used year recorded also, but I've started to listen to music by year.  Beach Boys/ Monkees/ Beatles make perfect sense in say 1965 but Beach Boys/ Solti (Beethoven) /Bernstein (any) doesn't. Have I been under estimating Genre perhaps? Thanks again.

Dec 6, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #4 of 4
In general year is the year of the recording.
You might decide to populate it with year composed but the moment you do an internet lookup your values will be overwritten.

I use a custom tag CHI_Year
I use the musiCHI tagger to populate this tag as looking up all the compositions and enter the year composed manual is a substantial job.
It also populates another important tag: composition.
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Players/MusiCHI.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back