A Question on 'Isolation' (E3c users please)
Apr 2, 2004 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ryan1524

New Head-Fier
this will be my first venture into high-end earphones and i'm looking to get a good pair of canal phones, probably the E3c. but before i splurge, i need to know something, does the isolation on these canal phones go both ways?? can people hear anything while i'm listening??

one thing that annoys me about my MDR-G73 is that it's loud. the sound leaks out so much that i can just set if down and use it as regular speakers.
rolleyes.gif
i like to be discreet when in public, so i prefer to have no sound coming out at all if possible when there are people around me.

so yea...will they hear anything?? and will it an awesome upgrade from the G73 to the E3c?? from what i've read, the E3c is far above and beyond the likes of the G73.

thx everyone.

Apr 2, 2004 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 7
Yes there will be no sound leaking out either, so no one will hear what you're listening to. I don't know about G-73 but my sis (unfortunately) bought me a pair of G-52 (or something similar) for Christmas once and E3c most certainly sound better than those.

Apr 2, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #3 of 7
They won't hear you and you won't hear them. Which is usually a good thing
biggrin.gif
. However, always be aware that wearing isolating canalphones during certain activities can be very dangerous. Don't drive with them and be extra careful and alert when walking on city streets and biking in and around traffic. You can get very lost in the silence and quality of the music, almost to the point of sleep-walking everywhere you go. I had to alter my behavior a bit to rely on my eyes alone when walking the streets of DC -- I was very reliant on auditory cues and warnings prior to owning the Etys and Shures.

Lord, I feel like someone's mom (that was not 1/2 as bad as my OWN mother can get at times)
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 5:23 AM Post #5 of 7
As the saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", I guess it's the same for audio too. How much or little difference you'll hear depends on your ability to pick it up and what you enjoy. A pair of MX500 earbuds are way better than the G-52 and E3c are way better than MX500, so I guess that means E3c are way way better than G-52
wink.gif
At least I seriously doubt you'd want to listen to your G-73 after using the E3c a short while.

Apr 3, 2004 at 5:18 AM Post #7 of 7
I have done a very elementary comparison between the E3c and the following ear phones and found the E3c to be the best.

Sony EX71
Sony E888
Sennheiser MX500
Sennheiser PX200 (headphones)
B&O A8
ATH EW9

They all have different qualities so 'best' is a general description only. Depending on your preference of music you may consider some of the above a better choice. For instance the PX200 has more punch in the bass area, and the EW9 and the E888 sound 'sweeter' than the E3c. I found myself using the EW9 indoors at night, and the E3c practically at all other times/locations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back