A Question of Volume
Mar 10, 2004 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DeadTrying

Head-Fier
Very simple thread...

When it comes to portable audio devices, the volume at which the headphones play, or the efficiency of the headphones IS an issue because it affects battery life, and in some cases, would require the use of an amp to drive the headphones properly.

It's hard to talk about volume in absolute terms because it's rather tricky to measure with headphones. (how for example could you compare the volume on a pair of ETY's with a the volume on a pair of Grado's...one is in-ear the other is supra-aural so comparing DB values is meaningless.

Therefore I think probably the best way is to compare volumes between on pair of phones and another. To start this off, I'd really like to hear volume comparisons between the lower end in-ear phones such as the Sony EX70's,EX71's, Sure E2's and ETY6's.

If you want to be more analytical you could also distinguish between bass, mid and high volume.

Finally a comment on how much improvement is actually brought about by adding a (portable) amp, and whether adding an amp is even justified/needed.

Mar 10, 2004 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by DeadTrying
Very simple thread...

When it comes to portable audio devices, the volume at which the headphones play, or the efficiency of the headphones IS an issue because it affects battery life, and in some cases, would require the use of an amp to drive the headphones properly.

Yes it is an issue.

Quote:

It's hard to talk about volume in absolute terms because it's rather tricky to measure with headphones. (how for example could you compare the volume on a pair of ETY's with a the volume on a pair of Grado's...one is in-ear the other is supra-aural so comparing DB values is meaningless.

You can by simulating an ear canal and measuring teh sund input into said canal. Excuse my spelling mistakes but I really cannot bothed to corect them.

Quote:

Therefore I think probably the best way is to compare volumes between on pair of phones and another. To start this off, I'd really like to hear volume comparisons between the lower end in-ear phones such as the Sony EX70's,EX71's, Sure E2's and ETY6's.

The E2 sound loudest but not by muhc.

Quote:

If you want to be more analytical you could also distinguish between bass, mid and high volume.

Finally a comment on how much improvement is actually brought about by adding a (portable) amp, and whether adding an amp is even justified/needed.

Unless you live in England and insist on buying Sony EU-limited gear, ir's nt a hoge issue.

Excluse me while I keel over.

Mar 10, 2004 at 2:15 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Excluse me while I keel over.

Hahahaha
biggrin.gif

Could somebody shed some more light on the efficiency of the ETY6's? I've read several times that they are at their best when powered by an amp, but is this really necessary? Volume-wise, how do they compare with the Sony EX70/71's?

[size=xx-small]sobriety appreciated but not required :p[/size]

Mar 10, 2004 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 5
o_O, you okay, bangraman? you seem a bit... tipsy, maybe?

And to answer your question: I don't know yet because i'm still somewhat of a newbie to this world of headphones.
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2004 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Hahahaha
biggrin.gif

Could somebody shed some more light on the efficiency of the ETY6's? I've read several times that they are at their best when powered by an amp, but is this really necessary? Volume-wise, how do they compare with the Sony EX70/71's?

[size=xx-small]sobriety appreciated but not required :p[/size]

ER-6 are power efficient headphones. You will get most of their performance with a normal portable device. A headphone amplifier may help accentuate the bass and smooth out its harshness. Most people who try them on the first time will find them
to be too harsh. They take awhile to get use to. They are probably one of the most neutral earcanal phones for the price. They are far superior than the Sony EX70/71.
The Sony EX70 has an uneven bass and treble response, making it boomy and
screechy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back