A question of DACs
Jan 20, 2015 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

squee116

500+ Head-Fier
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read over my query.

I've been using my PC to listen to my audio for about 6 months now and plan to continue the trend.
Currently, I have an ASROCK Extreme4 motherboard connected to an Astro MixAmp Pro via toslink, which connects to a Schiit Vali, that I use for my AKG K712.  (If it makes any difference, I'm planning on expanding in the mid-fi category, probably with HD650 and Fidelio X2s, possibly working up to some HE-560s or the new EL-8 depending)

As it stands, I'm thinking of getting a new amp, but then wondered if getting a DAC would improve the SQ more for the money.  I listen to a mix of FLAC, WAV, and MP3 files.

I'm hoping to spend under $200, if that can improve appreciably upon the Astro.  Otherwise, I might just look at other amps for the money.

Jan 21, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 15
Is the DAC used currently in the Astro Mix amp?
Do you need a mixing amp?

I'm a big fan of the Audioengine D1 but I'm sure there are more recent, better alternatives.

Jan 21, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 15
  Is the DAC used currently in the Astro Mix amp?
Do you need a mixing amp?

I'm a big fan of the Audioengine D1 but I'm sure there are more recent, better alternatives.

I used the Astro to make a psuedo gaming headset for my ps4.  I just brought it over to my PC to see if it sounded any better.  Technically, I don't think I need it.

Jan 21, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 15
I think your amp is fine for your headphones. Upgrading your DAC may help more.

I have found that PC optimization and settings are just as important as the DAC you choose.

In the coming weeks, I will be publishing a guide related to this. Stay tuned.

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 15
A better DAC will improve a number of things in the music.  My instinct --
since you already have the Vali -- is that you'll be helped more by having
an external DAC for your music listening.  I'm guessing the mixamp
already is giving you what you want for gaming?

A relatively low price entry point is the Audioquest Dragonfly, but
there are many others.  Schiit will also have good quality DAC choices.

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 15
Yeah, the MixAmp is fine for gaming, especially since it offers Dolby.

Among the Schiit line, what would the equivalent be, the Modi?  I'm still new to this, so I'm curious how the DAC changes the SQ, as I can't audition the equipment anywhere near.

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #8 of 15
  Yeah, the MixAmp is fine for gaming, especially since it offers Dolby.

Among the Schiit line, what would the equivalent be, the Modi?  I'm still new to this, so I'm curious how the DAC changes the SQ, as I can't audition the equipment anywhere near.

I own the Modi 2 and gladly recommend it. It's just $99.

There is also the Modi 2 Uber, which is $149 and has extra inputs, but you don't really need it.

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #9 of 15
will there be much difference from using a 3.5 to RCA, vs using Toslink?  It appears only the Modi 2U uses the toslink.

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #10 of 15
  will there be much difference from using a 3.5 to RCA, vs using Toslink?  It appears only the Modi 2U uses the toslink.

I just keep it simple and use USB from the computer to the DAC and two RCA cables from the DAC to the amp.

You need both the amp and the DAC. The DAC is not designed to drive headphones by itself.

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #11 of 15
  [...] I'm still new to this, so I'm curious how the DAC changes the SQ, as I can't audition the equipment anywhere near.

Subjectively, I get a better sense of ease and flow in the music.  Quieter background/less noise.  Better 'definition' of the notes and phrases.

I'd say for some users the upgrade is less important than it is for others.  So it's hard to predict how significant it will be in your listening.  But,
considering that your AKG K712 are terrific at revealing detail, I'm pretty sure that you'll find an improvement.

Always hard to convey a listening and musical experience in words!

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #12 of 15
Hi, 

My own personal experience is that no matter how I hook up audio to my computer I can not really tell the difference in sound quality. 
Whether it be usb audio out to a DAC running at 24 bit 192k or just using the headphone jack or even going from the headphone jack to a receiver and then through the headphones. 

But having said that, I do not hear all that well out of my right ear and I am not using super expensive equipment either. 

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #13 of 15

The advantage of toslink is that you can take advantage of any digital surround processing your sound card does. So, you could sell your mixamp and pick up an internal sound card with virtual surround for gaming (Soundblaster Z or Xonar DG/DGX). Then you'd be able to use your new DAC with the Vali for gaming, too :)

Jan 23, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #14 of 15
The advantage of toslink is that you can take advantage of any digital surround processing your sound card does. So, you could sell your mixamp and pick up an internal sound card with virtual surround for gaming (Soundblaster Z or Xonar DG/DGX). Then you'd be able to use your new DAC with the Vali for gaming, too
smily_headphones1.gif

The problem is I need the MixAmp for my headset on my PS4.

Jan 30, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #15 of 15
Greetings,

I have an Astro Mixamp.  A good asynchronous USB DAC most certainly will provide better sound than the Mixamp.  BUT, BUT, BUT to answer your question about "can you hear the difference" is impossible because the answer depends on your ears and your music.  You might have crappy hearing like me.

My suggestion is to buy an inexpensive async USB DAC with a generous trial period and see for yourself.  Second, make sure your computer setup is optimized for sound quality.  The benefits of the DAC could be wasted if your computer is not optimized.

These websites should help with optimization.
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Windows/Win7/USBDAC.htm
http://www.audiostream.com/how-to
http://www.audioquest.com/pdfs/CA-Setup-Guide.pdf

As you ponder which DACs to try, check out these DAC/amp combos, the Resonessence Labs Herus and Matrix Mini I Pro.  You could also sell your Vali to help pay for this new dac/amp combo.  Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back