A question for the always outspoken Team Source First
Nov 9, 2004 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Fizzmix

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm planning on obtaining both a Jolida JD-100A with Level 3 Mods (from our sponsor Sound Odyssey) and a Corda Prehead MkII SE (from Mr. Meier) in the next while.

I'll be receiving a large amount of cash soon enough, but only enough to purchase one of these for now.

Which would you recommend purchasing first? My source is a terrible Sony 5 Disc DVD player, and I don't yet have an amp. I've heard that the Jolida headphone out is spectacular, which would lead me to believe that this would be the best thing to get first.

I'll be buying some Beyerdynamics DT880s, so I'll be running those, as well as my Etymotic ER-4Ps, my Grado SR60s and my Grado SR325s.

Also, since my Beyerdynamics will soon be my main headphones, can anyone attest to their synergy with the Jolida?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Nov 10, 2004 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 7
I dont have any of the above. Let me just say, I'm jealous and you'll love your rig i bet!

Nov 10, 2004 at 10:08 AM Post #3 of 7
I suggest you also look into the Eastern Electric MiniMax. It's another player that has been getting high praise as a CD player and for the quality of it's headphone amp and is apparently highly moddable as well. There is a review in the June or July archives over at 6Moons in which it was auditioned exclusively with headphones and there is some information at Audio Circles as well. The MiniMax is the player next on my list of sources to try.

Nov 10, 2004 at 10:59 AM Post #4 of 7
If you already have an amp I'd get the source first because from the my experience the improvement will be more substantial by upgrading the source. Further, I believe the Jolida has a powerful headphone out which might keep you happy for a while.
Either way, I believe you'll have an excellent system once everything is put together.

Edit: Elnero, does the Rega not make you happy anymore?

Nov 10, 2004 at 2:49 PM Post #5 of 7
The headphone out on the Jolida is not that great and is a basic FET design, although Jolida would have you think its very good. It is not in any way connected to the tube/analog stage on the player. I would always recommend getting a great source first since even a budget amp will give you much better sound than a budget cd player from a great amp.

The stock Jolida is good enough for the money, but I would imagine that the Level 3 would be exteremely good given the mods it has on it. If I had the money, I would have strongly considered it. I've been meaning to have a listen b/c Sound Odyssey is not too far away from me, but I haven't had the time to make the drive.

Nov 11, 2004 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
I suggest you also look into the Eastern Electric MiniMax. It's another player that has been getting high praise as a CD player and for the quality of it's headphone amp and is apparently highly moddable as well. There is a review in the June or July archives over at 6Moons in which it was auditioned exclusively with headphones and there is some information at Audio Circles as well. The MiniMax is the player next on my list of sources to try.

the Minimax...
I am very curious about this player as well. Havnt heard too much about the mods available, but the reviews from 6moons and Soundstage are positive.

Nov 11, 2004 at 4:43 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Elnero, does the Rega not make you happy anymore?

The Rega's a great player. It wasn't a huge upgrade over the Cambridge and in some respects the Cambridge was technically better but where I did make gains with the Rega really suited my preferences. I'm not jumping on an upgrade bandwagon just yet but I have been ignoring the potential loss of my listening space in the somewhat near future. That means I would have to set up something in either the bedroom or livingroom, neither of which have much space for my system as it exists now. I ran across a good deal on a demo MiniMax a couple of weeks ago which piqued my interest, although I highly doubt it would be up to the level of my PPX3 it would be nice to have something with a decent headamp built in, it's also smaller and easier to place because three quarter size and it's not top loading like the Rega. I did some research and asked lots of questions but financially it's not feasible to give it a try right now but I'll probably end up giving it a much closer look if the space issues do arise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back