A question for recordists/mixers
Nov 26, 2001 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 9
Hadn't noticed. OTOH, maybe that's why.

Theory: cars.

Theory #2: maybe it's just you? (Sorry, not meant as a derogatory, just a theory -- check it out.)

Nov 26, 2001 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 9
Its not cars because I am getting this problem from a headphone, maybe its moi. It seemed to me that when I listen to rock, the kick drum 9 out 10 is coming primarily from the left side. I thought maybe it was a trick of the mixing room where they have a standard of putting it there because it sounds better.

Nov 26, 2001 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 9
is your hearing equal in both ears?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2001 at 2:33 AM Post #5 of 9
My hearing is not exactly equal because the left is a little more acute than my right ear. But its not anything so great to cause kick drums to move slightly to the left side, I believe this is somehow a recording anamoly.

Nov 26, 2001 at 2:35 AM Post #6 of 9
...and the balence equal from your source?

Another possibility is that it's just coincidence. On most studio recordings (especially rock), each instrument is recorded seperately, and then combined. The result being that certain parts of the recording are heard out of one headphone, and other parts out of the other. Maybe all of the recordings on which this happened were mixed in similar ways.
hope this helps.
M.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2001 at 2:44 AM Post #7 of 9
...and the balence equal from your source?

Another possibility is that it's just coincidence. On most studio recordings (especially rock), each instrument is recorded seperately, and then combined. The result being that certain parts of the recording are heard out of one headphone, and other parts out of the other. Maybe all of the recordings on which this happened were mixed in similar ways.
hope this helps.
M.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2001 at 3:30 AM Post #8 of 9
Classical recordings are funny coming out of headphones because the violins are almost always from my rear right
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, I've noticed a similar phenomenon with rock recordings where an instrument will be on one channel but not the other... unlike the classical recordings there's no soundstage...

Oh yeah, Godspeed You Black Emperor! has some of the best recorded rock ever. Not too much compression, has a soundstage, not too EQed, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back