A question for Omega 2 owners...
Mar 5, 2007 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pedalhead

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm assuming most O2 owners would have climbed up the Headfi ladder a bit before such a big purchase, so I'm wondering, now that you have these 'phones (and presumably a good electrostatic amp), do they render the rest of your system obsolete? Do they simply do everything better than the likes of Sennheiser (HD650 & below) / Grado / AKG etc? It's likely I'll be picking up a pair this year sometime, most likely with a KGSS, and I'm wondering if I should also be investing in my dynamic setup as well. I'd be very interested in your thoughts. Cheers.

Mar 5, 2007 at 10:01 AM Post #2 of 9
Seems interesting to know, because one day, when I have the money...
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2007 at 12:18 PM Post #5 of 9
It's pretty hard to do better on most fronts but personal tastes matter much more the higher you go in the ladder. Some would like more impact, more forward presentation and more opague sound. I will never buy another dynamic headphone but I have a pretty good collection of electrostats so you see where my priorities are. Quality source and cables matter a lot in a O2 setup and you can tailor the sound to your liking.

I have a HD600 with a Corda Aria in my computer setup and while they are good for games they bore me to death with music. I've never liked Grado and AKG and the only Beyer phone I've heard is the ET1000 and they are electrostatic and sound great... when they work
frown.gif

Mar 5, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #7 of 9
I climed from Grado SR80 to a Stax Omega II system.
The upgrade did render my source and interconnect cable obsolete. But this have been taken care of since then.

I won't look back on dynamic headphones either.

Mar 5, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #9 of 9
Electrostatic and dynamic are different. Your personality- monogamous headphone user or promiscuous tramp will determine how many headphones you use. Being a monogamous headphone user myself I sold my other gear so I can get intimate with the HE90’s. I can easily see where having both a dynamic and electrostatic system would be ideal- truly compliment each other.

Consider a Balanced HD650 Rig. With the right amp it's reported to be impressive.

Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back