A question for Grado freaks:
Nov 3, 2002 at 4:31 PM Post #16 of 21
"Are the sonic improvements I’m hearing due mainly to differences in the physical enclosure or is the main contributor differences in the driver elements?" yes to both questions.

the drivers are matched to within .1db and the diaphrams are also held to tighter clearances & polishing, etc.

one of the problems with auditioning cans is that you have to make absolutely sure that they are all positioned to the same reference mark - the exact middle of your ear canal. if you so much as move one set forward, back, up or down 1/4" (.25") you'll get different sounding cans. at the same time you must be able to listen to just one part of music and not a whole song. then move to another part of a song and audition all the cans all over again.

i've always wondered how the mahoganies sound in a wet climate, like seattle or england and a dry climate like arizona or a hot damp climate like the carribbean or a cold climate like alaska. the same speakers always sound different in different climates and i suspect that that would hold true for headphones. i would further speculate that the wooden enclosures would give a nice warm sound, the aluminum cans a "colder" sound and plastic a "deader" sound. of course the 325's & up have a deeper enclosure, so it's bound to sound different than the shorter sr60/80/125/225's.

are the insides of the mahoganies polished?

is the inside of the aluminum cans polished?

if not i can easily see myself taking 2000 grit paper to it
wink.gif

does any one know for sure? anyone ever try it?

Nov 5, 2002 at 7:44 PM Post #17 of 21
I have the RS-1, RS-2 and SR-125. I did own the SR-80 and SR-60 in the past.

I'd say:

Betw. SR-80 and SR-60: DEFINITELY the SR-80.

Betw. RS-1 and RS-2: Difficult to say, since they have different characteristics, but if I were to keep one, I'd keep the RS-1.

SR-125 has better detail and soundstage than the SR-80.

I'd get the SR-80 and save up to get an RS-1 later.

Nov 5, 2002 at 8:59 PM Post #18 of 21
Based on my own auditioning of the Grado line and the useful feedback I've received here, I just ordered the Alessandro MD1 (a virtual clone of the SR125).

Delivered to my door here in Canada, they cost me $99 USD (that's about $160 CAD). That's a pretty impressive bargain since the Grado SR125 costs $250 CAD locally plus 15% tax.

I would have liked to buy RS1s but just couldn't justify it in my overall budget. I need to leave something in the kitty for upgrading my electronics and buying new CDs

Thanks to all who responded.

Nov 5, 2002 at 10:38 PM Post #20 of 21
anearfull: I just noticed your location!
Did you know I am holding a head-fi meet on the 14th of Dec? I live just off of Main St. btw. I have the RS-1's and HP-1's which you can have a listen to if you are free to join us! Check out the Meetings section for more info.

Nov 5, 2002 at 10:44 PM Post #21 of 21
SR 325

I love these phones. I am using them with a MAX META42, to my ears they sound worlds better then my HD 580's. If you decide to get the 325's the flat pad's are a good option, as are the comfy pad's. Each has its own effect on the phones but do a good job at making them warmer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back