a question for dremel users
Aug 13, 2008 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dBel84

Cavalli Tinkerer at large
I need to replace an OEM rotary tool and have decided to get a dremel. Does anyone have an opinion for getting the newer 400 XPR series over the 3956.I have read a few reviews but thought I would get opinions from folk who use the tools for similar purposes as to what I will be using them. TIA..dB

Aug 13, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #2 of 7
Are there other differences between the two than the display (for rpms?) and the slight change in the shape? If not, then probably its not worth the extra money (dont know the difference actually). Im using a 3956 clone from years and until nw I've never had any problems getting the desired speed even without a display.

Though others may have different opinions
k701smile.gif

Aug 13, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #3 of 7
I have the XPR. Its quite a bit bulkier and louder, but I've never worried about it overheating like my old one did before it died. Mine came with the flex shaft, so I just hand the body from a hook and use it like a pen. It's probably overkill, but I love it.

Aug 13, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #4 of 7
You didn't say how you'd be using the tool so all I can do is tell you about my experiences with those units. In my business I use these type tools daily and have used Dremel with great success. I've even got one for my dogs nails if you can believe that. Dremel makes a fine product and they're very reliable in my experience. Have yet to have one give me problems. Still, the big complaint is that when I need to use it for finer, more detailed work, it was a bit bulky so I decided to purchase a dedicated desktop version. Picked up the Ram Power 35. Simply perfect. Variable speed, reverse, ergonomic, durable, dependable and even has a foot control...which I never use.

Aug 13, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Picked up the Ram Power 35. Simply perfect. Variable speed, reverse, ergonomic, durable, dependable and even has a foot control...which I never use.

Sounds like a pretty nice design; I'll have to try one out. The bulkiness of a Dremel messes with my control at times.

Aug 13, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #6 of 7
I have an older version of the 3956 and it works great for case/chassis work, ie cutting wheels, deburring, and polishing.

It was even better when I got the flex shaft. Without the flex shaft, I would occasionally bumped the Dremel against the piece I was working on and leave a mark.

Aug 13, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 7
Thank you all for the replies, much appreciated. I plan to use it for most everything related to this hobby and then some. i.e. drilling holes in pcbs, finishing chassis, modding headphones, possibly small routing jobs, the list goes on. No heavy tooling as if it came to this, I would get the tools I needed. I used to own a pretty complete workshop but when we moved, I it all behind. Strangely enough, I haven't really missed it all. The dremel appeals as it has the ability to convert it into a smaller version of practically any tool I could think usefull..dB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back