A question about volume...
Dec 14, 2012 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TimBlanchard

Head-Fier
I'm sure this question has been asked before but... 

In a typical set up you have two volume controls i.e, one for the amp, one for the PC. 

what's the best way to have them set?

Should you have PC volume set to 100% amp set to 30%? Amp set to ~80% PC ~20%? Both at 50:50? (Same loudness level)

In other words, in terms of sound quality, does it matter how all the relative volume controls are set, will you get the same SQ regardless?

I probably haven't phrased this in the best way, my apologies. 

Kind regards, 

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 4
It's a quite valid question.

Overall, you want to adjust volume at the end of your sound chain. Since a PC audio setup has the PC early in the chain, you will want to have its volume unattenuated (as long as there is no clipping occurring) and adjust volume through the amp.

In the event you're using Windows XP, you should set the volume to 50%, while if you're using Windows Vista or newer then the volume should be set to 100%. Some devices clip when unattenuated, and in that case you need to gradually lower volume until there is no clipping, as you will have found the threshold.

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #4 of 4
Yes, basically that. Also, all software players (be it audio or video) should have volume set at 100% (not higher, as some players allow).

The main thing to keep in mind is to have the source volume unattenuated or as close to it as possible. By having the source volume lower than 100%, resolution and dynamic range drops.

Why do you think it might be an accident waiting to happen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back