A question about volume control and ASIO
Jun 27, 2008 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

HeadLover

1000+ Head-Fier
I am not sure I am getting it right, and hope some one here can advice me.
So
I am using Foobar2000 with ASIO with my Creative sound card.
But still I can't use the windows (XP) volume control to turn up or down the volume
Is it right?
Isn't ASIO suppose to pass over it and send 1 to 1 bit perfect to my output ?
And if not, is there a volume I can choose that won't modifiy the sound ? like +0 DB ?
(maybe the MAX volume, or the medium so it will be not +10 or -10 but just +0)

Thank you

Jun 27, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #2 of 8
Wait, the volume control is or isn't working?

If you're using a digital output, the windows volume control shouldn't do anything if ASIO is properly setup. If you're using the analog outputs, the volume control will still change the output.

Jun 27, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, the volume control is or isn't working?

If you're using a digital output, the windows volume control shouldn't do anything if ASIO is properly setup. If you're using the analog outputs, the volume control will still change the output.

I am using the analog output.
So?
What to do?

Jun 27, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #4 of 8
Foobar has its own volume control. You can assign keyboard short cuts to them (I personally use the Numpad + and - keys) and this starts at 0db and goes in the -ve. Doesnt add gain by going above 0db. I havent found any quality issues with this.

Jun 27, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 8
What jil said^^^

For your windows volume control, back when I used my X-Fi, I felt around 75% was perfect. At 100%, I swear things clipped and got flat, but I could have been wrong. I was happiest with leaving it at 75% and letting my amp deal with it.

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Foobar has its own volume control.

yep. i think that's the answer if i understand the question right

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What jil said^^^

For your windows volume control, back when I used my X-Fi, I felt around 75% was perfect. At 100%, I swear things clipped and got flat, but I could have been wrong. I was happiest with leaving it at 75% and letting my amp deal with it.

Yep
I meant that, what to put so it won't do any problems ?

Jun 27, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #8 of 8
Well, you have to find out the proper volume. Are you running your sound card out to an amp? Or are you using headphones directly? If you are using your headphones directly, you don't have much choice. You have to use whatever volume is comfortable.

If you are using an amp, you have to experiment. My X-Fi I felt was the best around 75% to my amp. My Juli@'s analog outputs I feel performs the best all the way at 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back