A question about USB DACs...
Jun 14, 2011 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Hoosierdaddy

New Head-Fier
After a good bit of research on these very forums, I took the plunge and bought my first USB DAC. I basically intended to use it as a soundcard replacement and a headphone amp. However, not having any personal experience with them, I didn't want to drop a lot of coin on one, only to find out I didn't care for it. So I ended up buying The Prodigy Cube by Audiotrak.

Now, first of all, let me hasten to say that I really DO like The Cube. This should NOT be taken as an attack on the product. It sounds really great with the three sets of phones I have (two IEMs and a full size).

But when I hooked it up to my Denon M38 mini system, I found that I had to crank the volume all the way up on The Cube to get enough volume through the "line level" RCA outputs. And even then, the volume is quite low relative to other line level sources. When I play my iPod through my Denon system or play a CD through it, I have to bring the volume WAY down. And when I switch back to The Cube, I have to turn the Denon back up - even with The Cube on full volume. Now, before anyone asks, the Windows volume controls are turned all the way up. So it's not the computer volume.

All of this has led me to conclude that the output from The Cube, even at full volume, is NOT standard line level output. Am I right here? And if so, is this because it's a USB powered device? Would a DAC with it's own power supply put out a stronger signal? Do any USB DACs put out line level consumer standard (−10 dBV) or is the level always nonstandard?

Also, are there any USB DAC/headphone amp combos on which the volume control ONLY effects the headphones and passes a fixed signal to the RCA outs?

Again, I'm not really complaining about The Cube. This is definitely the best PC based sound I've ever had. I'm just trying to do some research for the NEXT purchase/upgrade.

Thanks for any and all help.

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #3 of 6
I have a USB-powered DAC with fixed level RCA out only (the HRT Music Streamer II+), and it's so loud that anything over 9 o'clock on my speakers is too loud for me for normal listening. So I don't think it's a USB power issue. I'm not familiar with the Prodigy Cube, but I wonder if this could be an issue with just your particular unit. Maybe another owner will chime in.

There are USB DAC/amp combos with with fixed level RCA outputs, like (I think) the Fubar III MkII.

Jun 15, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #4 of 6
2vrms is the standard line output needed for a good output signal, the hrt music streamer is 2.25vrms 2vrms is easily possible with usb power, i don't know what the The Prodigy Cube is but it's likely 1-1.5vrms you should ask the manufacture what it is.

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #6 of 6
Check in your sound options, at some point it should say what device you are using as an output and you should have a slider to raise the output volume.
Thats a problem I had when I bought my first DAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back