A Question About the Audigy 2 ZS's Resampling...
Sep 14, 2004 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Piccolo Daimaou

100+ Head-Fier
If I were to resample to 48 kHz in foobar, would that negate the hardware resampling done by the Audigy 2? I'm just curious. I was under the impression that the Audigy 2 ZS will resample in hardware if the sample rate of the source material is below 48 kHz, but I could be wrong about that.

Sep 14, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piccolo Daimaou
If I were to resample to 48 kHz in foobar, would that negate the hardware resampling done by the Audigy 2? I'm just curious. I was under the impression that the Audigy 2 ZS will resample in hardware if the sample rate of the source material is below 48 kHz, but I could be wrong about that.

Resampling with something like SSRC will negate the kernel mixer's artifacting effect on the sound, yes - but you're still resampling 44kHz sounds, no matter which way you look at it. (upsampling 44kHz to 48kHz)

Sep 14, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 12
I know I'd still be resampling, but the Audigy 2's resampling algorithm is prett crappy, so even SSRC resampling in foobar would be an improvement in that respect.

Sep 14, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

I know I'd still be resampling, but the Audigy 2's resampling algorithm is prett crappy, so even SSRC resampling in foobar would be an improvement in that respect.

Yes. The SSRC resampler would be a big improvement over the hardware resampler on the Audigy.

Sep 14, 2004 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 12
If you have a suitable interconnect (to be used as loopback) you could download the latest rightmark audio analyser .
This latest version appearantly performs specific tests on resampling artifacts.

Sep 14, 2004 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spent&Bent
If you have a suitable interconnect (to be used as loopback) you could download the latest rightmark audio analyser .
This latest version appearantly performs specific tests on resampling artifacts.

Alas, I have no interconnects to speak of, otherwise I'd give it a shot.

Sep 15, 2004 at 2:56 AM Post #7 of 12
I have a Audigy2 ZS, and the famous udial.wav tells me that resampling to 48kHz doesn't help...

Only resampling to 96kHz solves the problem !!!

Might be different with non-ZS Audigy's...

Bye

Sep 15, 2004 at 3:06 AM Post #8 of 12
D'oh! I didn't notice you had a ZS. Anyways, for the ZS you should remove any DSP effects, and resample to 24 (padded to 32)/96 or 24 (padded to 32)/192 instead.

Sep 15, 2004 at 4:51 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulhunter
I have a Audigy2 ZS, and the famous udial.wav tells me that resampling to 48kHz doesn't help...

Only resampling to 96kHz solves the problem !!!

Might be different with non-ZS Audigy's...

Bye

I feel a little out of the loop here. What exactly is "the famous udail.wav" and what problem does sampling to 96 kHz solve?

Sep 15, 2004 at 5:04 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

I feel a little out of the loop here. What exactly is "the famous udail.wav" and what problem does sampling to 96 kHz solve?

udial.ape

Play it back at pretty low volumes (it will give you a headache if you listen to it too much) - it's supposed to be just the sound of a touch-tone phone dialing (though every high-end sound card and DAC I own still has a piercing tone followed by the numbers) - the GameTheater XP I had in another machine made like weird "wee-woo" noises if the software equalizer turned on. M-Audio Revolution does it with Sensaura turned on as well.

Sep 15, 2004 at 9:36 PM Post #11 of 12
You should be careful with udial because it contains ultrasonic sounds that can and will damager your hearing if played too loudly, and it'll fry tweeters on speakers.

Sep 16, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaminJosh
M-Audio Revolution does it with Sensaura turned on as well.

Iirc, that's normal - according to some Terratec manual, Sensaura works only with 48 kHz samplerate, hence the resampling artifacts.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back