A question about mobile GPUs
Jun 17, 2011 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Banned at his own request
Wanting to play Tomb Raider: Underworld, I used "Can You Run It?" to check the reqs before acquiring the game.
Here's the thing. I can play Minimum but not Recommended. In the Recommended tab, I see that my graphics card is a FAIL. Yet:

Game requires 256MB GRAM, I have 700MB.
Game requires 3D acceleration. I have that.
Game requires HW T&L. I have that.
Game requires pixel shader 3.0. I have that.
Game requires vertes shader 3.0. I have that.

The game suggests ATI HD4800-series. I have the MobilityRadeon HD4250. Obviously not the 4870 legend, but all the above five points, I pass.
I figure that if I can run Half-Life 2 with everything maxed out (excluding FSAA, that lags) I should have no problems running what would seem to be lesser games. Long as I don't ply Crysis which I have no intention to. I play Tomb Raider: Anniversary with everything maxed out plus 2x FSAA.
Ain't exactly counting on playing Tomb Raider 2012.

So what am I missing here? Clock speed?

Thank you very much.

EDIT: Can You Run It also reports that I can actually play Crysis on Recommended if I wanted to. Wait, doesn't Crysis require DX10 or 11? And I've tried this on a big Gateway FX and even that would lag?

Jun 17, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 10
Take a look at your GPU's specs on this chart.

The HD4250 isn't even a discrete GPU, it's onboard. The "specs" you listed are basically just marketing buzzwords, what really matters is core speed, shader speed, memory bus width, etc.

Jun 17, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 10
You could always still buy the game and try it, if you don't mind the absolute minimum settings. I haven't played that particular game, so I can't tell you how graphically intensive it is, unfortunately. Your call.

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Ah well. Worth a try.
Still interested in how the test reports my computer being capable on running Crysis on Recommended. Might go test FarCry.
Thanks!

Here, check this:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Radeon-HD-4250.29664.0.html

I always check the benchmark tests to see which games i can play with my notebook. Hope this helps. 

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #7 of 10
None of those listed games I want to play. Still, know of a guy who played and passed STALKER on a GMA915 (IIRC) with 512MB system RAM. By staring at the grass when moving.
Maybe I should try that. He actually played HL2-EP2 and Portal on that computer, plus Serious Sam II (nice avatar ya got there).
On my very old (said 32MB 9200) computer I wan able to play Splinter Cell 1. Of course, forced a lot of things off with 3D Analyze.

Jun 18, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #8 of 10
Lol it depends on your resolution and graphic resolution. Personally, I recommend you get a better PC if you want to game cause playing games on minimum specs will cripple gameplay and you won't be able enjoy the game the way it is meant to be played. 

Also, this is VERY important if you want to max out the specs on games: Always make sure you have the best graphics card you can afford. The CPU, Ram, motherboard doesn't really matter. When I build a gaming PC, I always make sure I spend more than 60% of my money goes to purchasing the best graphics card I can afford. So, even if you have a CPU that cost 1000$ along with a 64 GB ram but an crappy integrated GPU, you won't be able to play any games on the market without lowering your settings to the absolute minimum. If you don't believe me, go look at the benchmark, the only hardware that affects game performance is the GPU.

Anyways, good luck and I hope you save up to buy a proper gaming PC before you game.

Jun 18, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
Lol it depends on your resolution and graphic resolution. Personally, I recommend you get a better PC if you want to game cause playing games on minimum specs will cripple gameplay and you won't be able enjoy the game the way it is meant to be played. 

Also, this is VERY important if you want to max out the specs on games: Always make sure you have the best graphics card you can afford. The CPU, Ram, motherboard doesn't really matter. When I build a gaming PC, I always make sure I spend more than 60% of my money goes to purchasing the best graphics card I can afford. So, even if you have a CPU that cost 1000$ along with a 64 GB ram but an crappy integrated GPU, you won't be able to play any games on the market without lowering your settings to the absolute minimum. If you don't believe me, go look at the benchmark, the only hardware that affects game performance is the GPU.

Anyways, good luck and I hope you save up to buy a proper gaming PC before you game.

Depends on how crappy your CPU is.  Mine is an old 1.86GHz Core Duo (not even core 2 duo) and it's definitely the system's bottleneck, even with a not-so-great 9600GT.  Still, upgrading the GPU from my even crappier 8600GT made a lot more difference than upgrading a CPU would have...but now my CPU is having trouble keeping up with the physics simulations in some games, and complex AI in some RTS games, as well as background processes sapping processor time.

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 10
Report: Shadows off, everything smooth.

EDIT: This is some Gorram strong carrier card... Left For Dead II on Low effects, smooth gaming. CoD VII on 1280-720 with High effects, smooth gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back