A question about memory card...
May 30, 2007 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JonathanHF

100+ Head-Fier
I'm going to buy a 4G or 8G card recently, for my Cowon D2,

But here's the problem, does the type of card determines the speed

of storing and reading?

Because there are too many kind of SD cards. Sandisk Utlra, Extreme...

So when I play music on my PMP with memory card, will the process of

opening and closing music(movie), so forth, be faster and smoothly with high

speed card?

thanks very much. This question bothers me a while
frown.gif

May 30, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #2 of 8
The answer is probably yes, but up to a point. If the video and music requires a transfer rate of 150 kB/s and your card supports 300kB/s, you clearly get no benefit.

Given that the Cowon specifications only mentions SD, there probably a good chance that it only requires the minimum specification as defined under the SD standard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card
Speeds

There are different speed grades available which are measured with the same system as CD-ROMs, in multiples of 150 kB/s. Basic cards transfer data up to six times the data rate of the standard CD-ROM speed (900 kB/s, vs. 150 kB/s). High-speed cards are made with higher data transfer rates like 66x (10 MB/s), and high-end cards have speeds of 150x or higher. Some digital cameras require high-speed cards to record video smoothly or capture multiple still photographs in rapid succession. As of December 2005, most devices comply to the SD card specification 1.01, with maximum speed of 66x. Higher speeds of up to 133x are defined by specification 1.1.

May 30, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 8
High speed cards are mostly used in digital photography, where you want to write a ~3 MB image to disk as quickly as possible so you can take another picture. Being able to write 3 images to memory in a second is important for those users, but I doubt playing back music or portable video will even approach that speed. No need to spend extra money getting the faster flash memory.

May 30, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #5 of 8
Faster cards gives the D2 little to none performance increase.
But music/video transfer speeds are ALOT better on cards like the Sandisk Ultra 2, and 133x SD cards.

I always stick to the Sandisk Ultra series (atm Sandisk Ultra 2 Plus, with USB thingy inside, no need for a cardreader
icon10.gif
), they really shine when it comes down to quality and speed. And these days business ain't what it used to be for Sandisk, so support them!

May 30, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 8
If I'm correct, the write speed should not affect how fast the card is read.

There are several videos on Youtube where a reviewer uses a high-speed card. I used a normal SD card, and I got the same response times.

May 31, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonathanHF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So in conclusion, there's no need to buy a high speed card for D2, right?

Nice, so i'll spend extra money on higher volume card
cool.gif

that'd be the smart thing to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back