A question about choosing number of sound channels.
Oct 12, 2012 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

lurchpanda

New Head-Fier
 Hello there everyone, i have a question about the sound channel option on my claro halo sound card. It has options for 2, 4, 6, and 8 channels and then examples of what it should be used for. For the 8 channel it says 3d games, and for 2 channels it says mp3. I was wondering if i should switch the channels depending on what i was doing, or if i should leave it on the highest applicable one to me?

Sound card: HT omega claro halo
Headphones: beyerdynamic dt 880s 600ohm

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 3
This question's frankly better suited for the Computer Audio forum.

Ideally, if the card's configured for headphones and you set Windows to 5.1 or 7.1, the extra channels should be downmixed automatically with no loss in quality; you just won't be able to distinguish front and rear channels unless you turn on Dolby Headphone.

However, I can't say that for certain due to my inexperience with C-Media-based sound cards like HT Omega's offerings. All I can suggest is to experiment and make sure nothing sounds off with the channel tests.

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
 Hello there everyone, i have a question about the sound channel option on my claro halo sound card. It has options for 2, 4, 6, and 8 channels and then examples of what it should be used for. For the 8 channel it says 3d games, and for 2 channels it says mp3. I was wondering if i should switch the channels depending on what i was doing, or if i should leave it on the highest applicable one to me?

Sound card: HT omega claro halo
Headphones: beyerdynamic dt 880s 600ohm

Music is 2-channel, so setting to 6-channel (5.1) or 8-channel (7.1) will not improve music quality, but might make it worse.
4-channels is for the old 4.0 or 4.1 speaker setup, which has not been used in something like 10-years?
DVD movies are 5.1, so set for 6-channel.
Blu-rays can be 5.1, set to 6-channel or 7.1, set for 8-channel.
Surround sound gaming, might as well set for 8-channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back