A question about bans
Jun 30, 2004 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ebonyks

Headphoneus Supremus
I've talked to a few people who are/have been banned (No names will be mentioned), and there seems to be a large amount of confusion about why a certian person is being banned. Now, i'm not here to contest people being banned (That's a different matter that won't be addressed here), but the final PM's sent by moderators just aren't able to be read, and since their accounts are locked (as opposed to just losing their posting abilities), why not send copies of these PM's to their e-mail addresses? I've heard this spefic complaint more than once, is there any reason why this hasn't happened?

Jun 30, 2004 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 8
Unless the reason for the ban is obvious, I think most moderators do make an attempt to contact the person with the reason why, the duration, etc. I'll ask the other moderators to make sure to copy to the registered e-mail address the message explaining the ban from now on, if they haven't been doing so already.

However, what I won't ask the moderators to do is waste their time composing a message explaining the ban for those times when the reason is insanely obvious.

Jun 30, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 8
Jude, to be fair, the feelings of moderators have been less than completely predictable (like all of us), and sometimes it's unclear to the banned member. While there are certaintly overtly obivious cases (Someone who posts ****, for example), but in most situations, i think it's logical to take the extra step to insure that the banned completely understands their situations. Even in a the case of a obivious ban, no one is going to complain about recieving the same message twice.

If you'd like me to continue with spefics (People who have had problems, the mods who tradtionally have these problems, etc), i'd be happy to elaborate in a PM or on AIM, but i don't know if it's really required.

Jun 30, 2004 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebonyks
....Even in a the case of a obivious ban, no one is going to complain about recieving the same message twice....

If I'm the moderator, and it's an obvious ban, I'm not taking the time to draft an explanation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebonyks
....If you'd like me to continue with spefics (People who have had problems, the mods who tradtionally have these problems, etc), i'd be happy to elaborate in a PM or on AIM, but i don't know if it's really required.

Go ahead and PM me. I have a feeling I can guess who we'll be talking about.

Jun 30, 2004 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 8
I will not explain a ban to someone who is being banned for doing something they have been warned about or previously banned for. That seems obvious to me and they likely get it as well.

Jun 30, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #6 of 8
I'd be awfully surprised if all but a VERY small portion of those banned are not KEENLY aware of why they are being banned.

I'm aware of VERY few people who have not been specifically warned prior to a ban about offending behavior. Those who have not been warned are what I would deem "emergency bans"...for example, someone comes out of the blue makes exceedingly vulgar and/or racist statements. Gone...in 60 seconds. Nobody is going to convince me that this individual isn't aware of why he was banned, whether an explaination or warning is given or not.

It's possible, I suppose, that one can be banned without knowing why. I just don't think it's happening. I intend no offense in saying this, but my guess is that the person in question is simply playing dumb.

Jul 1, 2004 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 8
Heheh, trust me, you will usually get a warning.

Uh....not that I get warned or anything......
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Jul 1, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #8 of 8
Me and jude had a fairly lengthy phone conversation about this subject. Unless someone else has something meaningful to add to this thread, it seems like it's served it's purpose

Users who are viewing this thread

Back