A quantum leap in sound? National Semiconductor's new op-amps
Sep 26, 2007 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

HiWire

Headphoneus Supremus
I read in Stereophile recently that National Semiconductor has produced a series of extremely low-noise, low-distortion ICs. They have constructed a full-scale audiophile listening room for testing their new products, and it looks like a number of manufacturers will be using their chips in new products. I wonder if we're going to witness a quantum leap in audio quality - chip manufacturers haven't generally considered the audiophile market a major customer... until now.

Sep 26, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #2 of 8
A small package that could act like a good discrete circuit or amplification one of high order would be fantastic. It could propel the many fine portables to the statis equivalent of pocket rocktets (a term used for cars like my 1990 Mitsubishi all wheel drive turbo that goes like a bat out of hell).

Sep 26, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #3 of 8
That portable angle is not something I considered jama. But you're right. Good on you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 8
To be honest, I tried one of these opamps (LME49710) in the OPERA and wasn't really convinced. They showed nice pace but micro-detail (which I personally find very important) is a little bit lacking. My girl-friend likes them though, so I guess it's just a matter of taste.

But for people who like to try some, I do have quite a large number of these lying around (there was a minimum quantity for the purchase-order) which I'm willing to sell for a low price. Just send me a note at meier-audio@t-online.de

Cheers

Jan

Sep 26, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 8
From the Stereophile Article:

"These new op-amps, the LME49860 dual op-amp (capable of running on ±22V voltage rails), LME49710 single op-amp, LME49720 dual op-amp, and LME49740 quad op-amp (these three all capable of running on ±17V rails) are manufactured with a process said to be capable of providing a much better match than before between the on-chip npn and pnp transistors. The noise contribution of the op-amp is specified as just 2.7 nanovolts/rootHz, the gain-bandwidth product a very high 55MHz, the slew rate ±20V/µs, and the maximum output current a high 26mA, the latter enabling the chip to drive 600 ohm loads without breaking a sweat."

These seem to be available on EBay from time to time.

Someday, as soon as iBasso sends me the 2nd D1 I have on order I am going to give this a try.

Sep 27, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #7 of 8
Do some search here on Head-Fi. Many of us have used them. LME49710/20=LM4562. Nice laid-back clean and analytical sound. Lacking warmth in the lower mid. These chips pick up interference like no other and need good shielding, otherwise easy to deal with, like low DC-offset as opposed to many other bipolar input opamps. I think there's a JFET and a bipolar sound signature. If you don't like the somewhat warm and grainy kind of sound of JFET's, these chips are worth a try.

Sep 27, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonVandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LME49710/20=LM4562.

Yes that's true. I love these in my DAC output stage, much cleaner than opa627.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back