A PX100 fan asks: Would the ER6 be a worthy upgrade?
Jan 15, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #16 of 23
hey update everyone:

I went to the Apple store at the mall to try out the e2cs. I had to buy them before I could try them (side note: 99$!?) Okay, I decided to test them using the in store iPods, and all I can say was, I was horrified. The e2cs cost is not justified by their quality. Rolled off highs, tinny cymbal crashes, bloated bass, but the mids were okay. They arent very comfortable to wear either, and I dont like the whole wire-behind-the-neck thing. The bass killed a lot of detail I was looking for, and the highs were just so shrill at times. Im definately not buying the e2c!

Jan 15, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #18 of 23
Get the Sharp md33s, and look iinto one of the simple mods for them if you feel like it. They're around $50 shipped. Someone once described them as a Port-a-Pro in a canalphone. After having them almost a year, I think that's pretty apt. Do a search on them here - the opinions are uniformly good, and they'd probably be even more popular if you didn't have to order them direct from Japan.

Jan 15, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai
how about the e888?

I had those as well - ended up losing them to my sister. Pretty nice and smooth; "transparent" is the word I'd use to describe their sound, which also happens to be very similar to the Bang & Olufsen A8.

Maybe with some Earjams?

But still, to me they don't beat the Sharps, which I consider to be pretty special, a can't-go-wrong buy. Or in a word sadly pretty rare in this persuit: "keepers".

Jan 15, 2005 at 6:05 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaied
...Ive read an endless number of posts concerning the ER6s lack of bass, and so this is what concerns me most. My question is, me being greatly impressed with with PX100s acoustics (cymbal crashes and percussion in general sound perect) and tight bass response, do any of you think the ER6 is a worthy upgrade? Im hoping to get a litte more detail...

I have listened to the PX100s and would use then when isolation is not safe. I prefer ER6is much more but YMMV. Much more detail, very nice and realistic sounding percussion. As for tight bass, I find the Etys to be accurate, not boomy. The Sennheisers are darker and also good, just a different presentation.

I am a huge fan but you need to check them out yourself and see if you like them. Canalphones have their drawbacks, most notably microphonics.

etysmile.gif

Jan 15, 2005 at 6:41 AM Post #22 of 23
See if you can find a friend with a pair of e2cs or senns, and give them a try. If you want suggestions of what to try, grab the THX bass test, the song "Bucephalus Bouncing Ball" by Aphex Twin (seriously), some classical, whatever. Then just use your best judgement.

Personally I love the e2cs. I imagine when they FINALLY come out with the ultrasoft sleeves, it'll be even better.

Jan 15, 2005 at 8:17 AM Post #23 of 23
Ah, someone beat me to the ER-6i's. These are good phones. I had a problem with the ER-6's highs (they weren't overexaggerated; just a little discomforting for some reason or another). The ER-6i's are much much warmer (almost a little too warm), and have the bass the ER-6's "lack." The ER-6's don't actually "lack" bass; it's there, and it's tight, but given the nature of canalphones (which isn't condusive to bass punch), a lot of people feel empty inside without a little emphasis.
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back