A problem with Shure olives
Feb 25, 2009 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Fistulator

New Head-Fier
I got my Shure SE530s about 2 months ago and they're great. There's just one problem. When I opened them, the first thing I wanted to do was remove the olives that came on them. It seemed as though they were glued to the nozzle, so I had to tear them apart.

I found which tips I liked most after that, the small olives, and I've been using them for the past months, but I really think that I should clean them and the headphones now and I'd also like to try some other tips I bought. But the problem is that they too cannot be removed. Is there any way I can remove them without tearing the tips up? I have no spares of this type so I really wouldn't like having to use some tips that don't fit well.

PS: I used the method for tip removal described in the instruction booklet and I also tried pushing the silicone (or plastic) core of the olives off the nozzle, but they won't budge.

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #2 of 9
It is very difficult for the first few times. The best thing to do is the improve your grip, by using a piece of cloth or something between your fingers and the foams. Then you use the twisting motion to slowly twist it off. After few times of doing this the nozzle sort of "breaks in" and won't give you any more trouble.

And next time you put the foams back on, don't put it past the "hook" in the nozzle. Doing so will make it easier to pull them out later and also improve the soundstage and quality of music to boot.

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks guys
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #5 of 9
The best way to remove those "fused" tips from your 530's (or any other Shure's).....PUT THEM IN THE FREEZER! The cold will harden the plastic nozzle as well as the plastic on the inside of the foam tip. After 20-30 minutes those tips should slide right off.
k701smile.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Werm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best way to remove those "fused" tips from your 530's (or any other Shure's).....PUT THEM IN THE FREEZER! The cold will harden the plastic nozzle as well as the plastic on the inside of the foam tip. After 20-30 minutes those tips should slide right off.
k701smile.gif

I've heard of that trick before (I believe recommended by Shure themselves?), but the reason why I am VERY skeptical about it is because putting it in the freezer would also harden the already-fragile wires, making it easier for them to crack later on.

Feb 26, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #8 of 9
Put them in your pantpockets and let the plastic tube warm up, then try it again
smily_headphones1.gif

Works for me all the time.

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Werm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
k701smile.gif

I'd be a little concerned about condensation in my drivers, actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back