A PPA Finally Finished... (mild dialup warning)
Sep 29, 2004 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

guzzler

Headphoneus Supremus
Just thought I'd post a couple of pictures of my PPA which I've finally finished. Just to be a little different, I've put in AD797s instead of the usual OPA6X7 or AD8610. So far, they are excellent. DC offset is a little higher than I'd like, but it's only about 20mV, so I'm not too worried with Senn. HD600s. No bass boost.

I'm using Glassmans discrete buffer. I was worried about the heat inside the Lansing C case, but it's fine; the case is just a little warm. Nichicon Muse for C1, WIMA MKS-2 for film caps, and C4s are Black Gate Standards. Biased to Class-A, roughly 1.5mA IIRC. Input RCAs are Vampire gold plated brass.

I decided to get the front plate for the STEPS engraved. It was originally going to have a black infill, but the engraver was worried about going too deep into anodised aluminium. However, I think it actually looks nicer in bare Al looking silver underneath the brushed anodisation. It looks better 'in the flesh' as well. Used a bright green LED inside the STEPS which glows through the grills when it's dark, nice effect. Anyway, pictures:

My headphone rig (HD600, Cyrus CD6, PPA, STEPS). The black knob next to the HD600s will go on the PPA, just need to mill it out a little.
all2.jpg

Back of the PPA
ppaback.jpg

STEPS
lrps.jpg

Those are some homemade interconnects as well. Incidentally, all the wiring (except the mains wiring and LED) uses the same OFC wire, does just fine. The amp is dead silent until the pot is all the way max.

My thanks to JMT & ITZBITZ for helping me out for with a couple of parts, Nisbeth for those delightful LEDs, and Team PPA for all their efforts!

g

btw, I made a MINT months ago, but never posted it up.

Front, turned on
Back with battery cover off

Sep 29, 2004 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 7
Nice work. Love that case.

The STEPS looks amazing, I've never seen one look beter.

Any pics of the inside?

Sep 29, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 7
really like what you did with the power supply.
biggrin.gif

any pictures of it in the dark with the LED lighting showing through?

Sep 30, 2004 at 2:51 PM Post #6 of 7
Ok, you've twisted my arm! I'm not too keen on cracking open the PPA, as I cut the jacks wires a little on the short side, and it's a pain to put it back on(could just have lengthened the wires, that would have been sensible!). The STEPS is easy though, I'll wait till it's dark here and get some shots for you then. Glad you like it
smily_headphones1.gif

g

Sep 30, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #7 of 7
Couldn't get a good shot of the glow, so just took a few other shots:

Yep, it's that bright
smily_headphones1.gif

LENSFLARE.jpg

Internal shot (the mains wiring has glue around all exposed joints to avoid accidently shocking myself
blink.gif
Also, it provides some extra mechanical rigidity to the mains section)
lrpsopen.jpg

Milled out the knob today, so here's the finished article
finished.jpg

g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back