A portable headphone with the sound of DT 880 ??
Mar 5, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #16 of 19
  Oooooh!!!!

Very useful!!.... As I had the P5s for about a week last year.

I loved them for a day. Then grew concerned. Then hated them and returned them.

They clamp. Their sound is far from natural...
Laura Marling, for example, sounded unnatural on them. The acoustics didn't sound natural, not wooden enough. Very important to me

My Bose on Ears were more natural; and they are coloured to hell!

Your chart suggests I MAY love the T51s, judging from your assessment against the P5s.

I listen to a lot of folk, classic rock, modern rock, some electro (Air/ Royksopp) Singer songwriters where vocals and guitars matter a lot...

I'm glad I could help. it's always good to have something to compare your headphone to.

I own both the P5 Series 2 (I could get them for €150!) and the t51p. I prefer the t51p, but the P5 S2 is not bad after some equalizing. Without equalizing the P5 S2 also works well with drum&bass. It's not my favourite genre though :p

Quote:

I am guessing you recommend the T51i/p then in my case? 
:)

I guess I would. The DT1350 are not a bad option either. I already explained why I prefer elevated bass for portable cans so before you make your decision please note:

Comparing my T1s to the t51p/i in a quiet environment, the elevated bass is very clear and I prefer the T1 (obviously). In a noisy environment, the T1 looses some of the lower frequencies and even though I really like neutral sound, the t51p starts sounding better to me.

You decide what you prefer.

Mar 6, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #17 of 19
I have found more reviewers comparing the T51s to the T1s.... high praise considering the differece in price!

I am close to hitting order on the T51s...

Oddly, the main "negative reviews" I have seen often get updated to people liking them more over time. Is Burn in ACTUALLY a thing with these? (Major skeptic of such a thing here), or perhaps they acclimatised? 

The one amazon review says he sent them back for a pair of 880s which he loves... so much more natural and open. Well. Yes, the are literally open! A closed portable can will not compete with the 880s for this!

I did look at the 1350s. I like the idea of a flattter sound, but as mentioned portable almost requires a small bump in the bass, plus, the 51s are supposed to be hugely more comfortable... Not an unimportant thing...

Thanks everyone :)

Mar 6, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #18 of 19

Oddly, the main "negative reviews" I have seen often get updated to people liking them more over time. Is Burn in ACTUALLY a thing with these? (Major skeptic of such a thing here), or perhaps they acclimatised? 

This would be what some people call psychological burn-in. Your brains adapt to different sound signatures over time. If you listened to the t51 and no ther headphones/speakers for a week or two and suddenly switched to the DT880, the sound of the DT880 will appear to be overly bright even though they are fairly neutral.

Mar 6, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #19 of 19
  This would be what some people call psychological burn-in. Your brains adapt to different sound signatures over time. If you listened to the t51 and no ther headphones/speakers for a week or two and suddenly switched to the DT880, the sound of the DT880 will appear to be overly bright even though they are fairly neutral.

That was my thinking. 

As a producer I am very aware of this. Another reason I avoid using only one set of cans - By mixing it up you keep your ears "on their feet"; Metaphorically speaking. Helps to mix and master for the market.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back