A portable headphone with the sound of DT 880 ??
Mar 5, 2015 at 11:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

James Nighthawk

New Head-Fier
Hey All

The title of the thread pretty much says it all... I am an owner of the DT 880 Pros, and I find the balance, soundscape, freq' response (i.e. flat as hell!) to be just perfect for my liking and daily usage. 

As such, is there a portable headphone that has close to the same qualities?

I use the DT 880s in my studio as a fantastic reference pair for checking mixes, and isolating problems (alongside Mackie HD monitors and Mission reference speakers... I am no headphone only chap for work!)

I also find they are just glorious for , y'know, LISTENING to music!

This headphone suggestion can be open (likely will in fact to match the sound). I don't worry about spill. They just need to be small to through in my bag and low impedance to be driven off my iPhone.

Should you be interested, my current collection:

DT880 (see above)
Bose On-ear gen 1 portables (bass bangers, comfy as hell but no good for reference at all, of course)
Shure SE 530 (great isolation, warm sound, epic mids, rolled highs)
Shure SE 230 (great cheaper pair for running)
ATH AD900 Airs (similar to the DT 880s, but brittle, no bass so have to be tweaked thru my Fiio E17. Somewhat lifeless, almost clinical. I prefer the 880s. More "power", not sure how to put this...

I kind of want a throw around pair with the warm, open, natural sound of the 880's but with less bulk and fuss. My two options for portable are my Shures or Bose... both have their perks but neither are natural sounding cans...

All responses welcomed. I ask here as I have been out of the loop for a year or two, so hoping fellow audiophiles that HAVE been up to speed can help

Thanks!
james

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #2 of 19
I kind of want a throw around pair with the warm, open, natural sound of the 880's but with less bulk and fuss.

I don't think the DT880s are generally considered "warm" headphones. If anything, probably a bit toward the colder side of neutral. Just mentioning that since it sounds like you need a neutral more than warm headphone.

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #3 of 19
 I don't think the DT880s are generally considered "warm" headphones. If anything, probably a bit toward the colder side of neutral. Just mentioning that since it sounds like you need a neutral more than warm headphone.

Thanks! I admit to using the wrong language here. I am a little in the dark when it comes to "warm/cold" "light/dark" with headphones... I tend to use the words that feel right to me forgetting there are standards!

You are right. I am looking for the natural, uncoloured, open sound with a flat freq' response. The 880s are known for this. I like my music to sound "as is" rather than coloured by the headphone. Such is the issue/life of being a producer! 

Cheers again

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #4 of 19
Thanks! I admit to using the wrong language here. I am a little in the dark when it comes to "warm/cold" "light/dark" with headphones... I tend to use the words that feel right to me forgetting there are standards!

You are right. I am looking for the natural, uncoloured, open sound with a flat freq' response. The 880s are known for this. I like my music to sound "as is" rather than coloured by the headphone. Such is the issue/life of being a producer! 

Cheers again

Well, I don't know that I would say "standards." But yeah, there would seem to be a consensus that, when compared to many other headphones, they are neutral but perhaps a touch bright/cold. :)

But sorry. I don't know of any more portable, neutral sounding headphones similar to the DT880 in frequency response.

Mar 5, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #5 of 19

This headphone suggestion can be open (likely will in fact to match the sound). I don't worry about spill. They just need to be small to through in my bag and low impedance to be driven off my iPhone.

For portable use I don't really recommend that because it  means many sounds from the environment will interfere with the music you are listening to. This makes the low frequencies difficult to hear. All instruments that produce low frequencies would drown in the background noise if you used open headphones. Closed headphones usually have less impressive soundstge (with a few exceptions like the huge AKG K551), but you are likely to hear many more details of the music. There are not many good 'small' open headphones anyway, and the ones I know are not similar to the DT880 at all (Grado).

You could get the Beyerdynamic DT1350. It has the Beyerdynamic sound, they are some of the more neutral portable headphones (not completely uncoloured), but don't expect the soundstage to be big. These are on-ears and the build limits the soundstage capabilities.

Other neutral portable headphones you might like are the Focal Spirit Pro. These also could work as studio reference cans.

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #6 of 19
  For portable use I don't really recommend that because it  means many sounds from the environment will interfere with the music you are listening to. This makes the low frequencies difficult to hear. All instruments that produce low frequencies would drown in the background noise if you used open headphones. Closed headphones usually have less impressive soundstge (with a few exceptions like the huge AKG K551), but you are likely to hear many more details of the music. There are not many good 'small' open headphones anyway, and the ones I know are not similar to the DT880 at all (Grado).

You could get the Beyerdynamic DT1350. It has the Beyerdynamic sound, they are some of the more neutral portable headphones (not completely uncoloured), but don't expect the soundstage to be big. These are on-ears and the build limits the soundstage capabilities.

Other neutral portable headphones you might like are the Focal Spirit Pro. These also could work as studio reference cans.

I thought T51p was that. Isn't DT1350 suposed to have elevated bass? Never tried them though.

Also I don't really know if it's something but you could check out Soundmagic HP200.

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 19
Thank you all for your responses.

I am looking at the Beyerdynamic T51i / T51p

They look fantastic. Flat response (give or take).

They basically look like a portable version of the 880s, closed back, and designed to be run from an iPhone. Exactly what I am looking for!

Anyone had personal experience with them or threads with such? (I am googling but may miss some!)

Big thanks again all! JNxxx 

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #10 of 19
Are you aware of these three resources for looking up measurements?
http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads
http://www.headphone.com/pages/build-a-graph
http://en.goldenears.net/GR_Headphones

Not sure if those are listed.

Be aware that headphone measurements often may be adjusted to compensate based on psychoacoustical data regarding how sounds is perceived with headphones: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurements-explained-frequency-response-part-one

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #11 of 19

I thought T51p was that. Isn't DT1350 suposed to have elevated bass? Never tried them though.

Nope, the DT1350 are flat (sound analytical) and the T51p/t51i (I have one myself) has an elevated bass. I personally prefer the elevated bass because the background noise tends to mask those lower frequencies. I used to own a K550 that I used on the go a few times, but the lovely bass I heard at home was nowhere to be heard in the outside noise.

This chap's review seems to think they are FAR from flat response....

See above :wink:

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #12 of 19
  Odd.

This chap's eview seem's to think they are FAR from flat response....

http://headphone.guru/beyerdynamic-t51i/2/

Sorry wrong cans.
atsmile.gif

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #14 of 19
Guys....

Blown away by the helpfulness of this thread (you just want me to spend money,don't y'all!)

SO

The DT1350 are the flatter ones.... time to reassert my research on those.... will report back!

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #15 of 19
  Here is a comparison I made with other portable headphones:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/733228/bowers-wilkins-p5-series-2/165#post_10971424

Oooooh!!!!

Very useful!!.... As I had the P5s for about a week last year.

I loved them for a day. Then grew concerned. Then hated them and returned them.

They clamp. Their sound is far from natural...
Laura Marling, for example, sounded unnatural on them. The acoustics didn't sound natural, not wooden enough. Very important to me

My Bose on Ears were more natural; and they are coloured to hell!

Your chart suggests I MAY love the T51s, judging from your assessment against the P5s.

I listen to a lot of folk, classic rock, modern rock, some electro (Air/ Royksopp) Singer songwriters where vocals and guitars matter a lot...

I am guessing you recommend the T51i/p then in my case? 

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back