A portable amp vs a reciever
Jan 25, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 9
I have to admit, you starting your post with "yo" made me laugh out loud
tongue.gif

From what I hear, most recievers are very powerful and can drive headphones really well. Most likely better than a cheap portable amp such as a cMoy or something of the sort. However, if you get a high-end portable amp, such as a Hornet or Tomahawk for instance, I suspect it might be more efficient for headphones due to the fact that those amps are dedicated headphone amps rather than recievers/tuners/CD-players all together.

Let us know if you have any other questions or how it goes!

Jan 25, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #4 of 9
Well I'm not going to pretend I know the exact differences, but as you may know different amps have their sonic differences. For 150 dollars what comes to mind is the Total Airhead or Headphonia amps.

Read this thread and try to compare the sounds described to the sounds that your recievers amp has or the sound you'd really like.

What kind of headphones are you using?

Jan 25, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #5 of 9
since youre not goign to explain it, ill kind of start(enough to segue into someone coming ind finishing the explanation). But from what i gather, it has to do with the fact taht a conventional stereo amplifier has to take a signal with low current/voltage, and change it to something with higher voltage. Wheras in headphone gear im pretty sure you end up stepping DOWN the voltage on the output. you need to design the amp with these factors kept in mind.

take it awayyyy....whoever

Jan 25, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #7 of 9
Yeah the iPods built-in amp is a piece of crap, if you get an amplifier I DEMAND you get a Line-out dock for your iPod so you can bypass that terrible built in amp!

Now read those reviews and get cursed by the Head-Fi gremlins
tongue.gif

I'll check back on you later tonight.

Jan 25, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah the iPods built-in amp is a piece of crap, if you get an amplifier I DEMAND you get a Line-out dock for your iPod so you can bypass that terrible built in amp!

Yea, I already have a TURBOdock to get line out on my stereo. So that's no trouble. Just would need a mini->mini cable from TURBO as well.

I quite like the look and price of the Headphonia amp.
Think it would go well with my ear buds?

Jan 26, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #9 of 9
Yeah the Headphonia amps seem like they'd be great. Personally I'd get the one with the three switches, that way if you get any IEM's or full sized cans, you can adjust the Gain and Impedance switches to match them nicely, then Crossfeed isn't bad either.

I wouldn't mind the one with the built in DAC, but I don't need it. If you use a laptop then you might want to consider it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back