a plea to head-fi'ers of the world
Feb 8, 2005 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dano1122

100+ Head-Fier
i simply cannot see myself now or in the immediate future moving towards a dedicated headphone rig. i do nearly all my listening to headphones through the computer. i enjoy the intimacy of headphones and i also enjoy that i can have a high volume without seriously disturbing other people in the area. in this circumstance, i have been seeking the best listening experience through this setup. it started with grado sr 225's on my birthday almost 2 years ago. then i upgraded my soundcard do a dmx6fire lt because the audigy was really sounding muddy. then i discovered headfi a few months ago then came the emu0404 and a pimeta, which was another good step upgrade over the 6fire lt. now after some comfort issues on extended listening with the grado's i bought the 600's . i am pleased with them but they do not do well with bad recordings, especially bad rock or metal recordings, the grado's tend to make these types of bad recordings sound more clear to me. and now here i am, was about to pull the trigger on a dynahi but after some serious thinking began to think if this is a product made for computer as a source or a dedicated rig after which i pm'd you an hour ago.

so, with all this in mind, and the notion that i will not be moving towards a dedicated rig anytime in the near future... do you deem there is anything i can do to my system that will be another significant "step up" considering my source (lossless via pc foobar -> emu0404 -> vampire interconnects) AT BEST.

headphone wise, i love the sennheiser for comfort and alot of different kinds of music but the grado's excel in rock where i am guessing there are very energetic mids going on. but i can't stand to wear the supraaural grado's because they pinch my ears.

via the grado path, do you think i can gain with this source going anywhere as far as farther up then a pimeta or farther up then an sr225...

same question towards a sennheiser setup, in this case starting out at the 600's and really only being able to go towards the 650's as an upgrade.

*takes a deep breath* thank you

Feb 8, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by dano1122
i simply cannot see myself now or in the immediate future moving towards a dedicated headphone rig. i do nearly all my listening to headphones through the computer. i enjoy the intimacy of headphones and i also enjoy that i can have a high volume without seriously disturbing other people in the area. in this circumstance, i have been seeking the best listening experience through this setup. it started with grado sr 225's on my birthday almost 2 years ago. then i upgraded my soundcard do a dmx6fire lt because the audigy was really sounding muddy. then i discovered headfi a few months ago then came the emu0404 and a pimeta, which was another good step upgrade over the 6fire lt. now after some comfort issues on extended listening with the grado's i bought the 600's . i am pleased with them but they do not do well with bad recordings, especially bad rock or metal recordings, the grado's tend to make these types of bad recordings sound more clear to me. and now here i am, was about to pull the trigger on a dynahi but after some serious thinking began to think if this is a product made for computer as a source or a dedicated rig after which i pm'd you an hour ago.

so, with all this in mind, and the notion that i will not be moving towards a dedicated rig anytime in the near future... do you deem there is anything i can do to my system that will be another significant "step up" considering my source (lossless via pc foobar -> emu0404 -> vampire interconnects) AT BEST.

headphone wise, i love the sennheiser for comfort and alot of different kinds of music but the grado's excel in rock where i am guessing there are very energetic mids going on. but i can't stand to wear the supraaural grado's because they pinch my ears.

via the grado path, do you think i can gain with this source going anywhere as far as farther up then a pimeta or farther up then an sr225...

same question towards a sennheiser setup, in this case starting out at the 600's and really only being able to go towards the 650's as an upgrade.

*takes a deep breath* thank you

If you decide to go with the grados...I can tell you that you will notice a huge step up (even with your current rig) if you got some RS-1's.

edit: I'm assuming you bent the headband on the Grado's you had to take some of the pressure off your ears, right?

Feb 8, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 4
i think everything is fine in that setup when using the grados. with the 225 you wont need much more than a pimeta.

but for the HD600, you might need to step up to a beefier home amp. i like the Solo, and i heard it's a good match with the senns. actually, i heard a HD650 with it and yes, it's a nice (but boring) match.

if comfort is the issue, try this with the grado - bend that headband back. just grab it and bend it. it's a bar of metal, it won't break! stretch it so the cups just rest on your ears, and don't require clamping to stay on. bingo - comfort! also look into getting the softer VWAP pads - i guess you still use bowls. VWAP is a 414 senn pad with a hole cut in the middle.

Feb 8, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 4
thank you so far...
yes i've bent it to hell and back, even with the light pressure it is placing on the ear cartlidge it gets uncomfortable after a couple hours. not a HUGE deal. yes i've tried flats too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back